Retrofitting Cruise Control advice.

Dannykn9

"Cruise My Ride"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all, I have had an enquiry from a fella who wants me to fit cruise to his A1. Although I have done many A4 B6/B7 and A3 8p models, I have not done a A1.
Is the procedure more or less the same as the A4 B6/B7 AND A3 8P models, ie as well as removing the the steering wheel, lower cowling and drivers footwell cover, is there anything else that may be different?
All help would be much appriciated lads, and if there are any links to fitting guides that would be great (i have searched high and low and can't find any).
Although I am confident enough on doing the job, i just want to make sure, as I do not want to let the fella down when I get to him.
So far I have slowly built up a good name on my cruise fitting so do not want to ruin it by not knowing what I am doing.

Thanks in advance all.

Danny​

Danny,
I'm investigating this myself and have been discussing the issue with Mark at Huntingdon Audi. It seems as though the procedure is similar to the A3 in that you will need a different ECU if the car is not fitted with a MFSW. The kits for this are available (with instructions), but kits for cars with MFSW have not yet been released. There's a loom, or connection (not sure which) required between the steering ECU and the engine ECU as well.
If you do find out any further details please post here, you could also try the A1OC forum.
Regards,
Steve

Hello Steve

Yeah I spoke to Mark this morning but was not too convinced by wht he had to say. The kit that is available 8X0 054 690 A comes with a wire that he says needs to be connected to engine ECU, but from past experience with all the newer A3 2005 onwards and A4's, the wire supplied never needed to be installed. So i can't imagine a new Audi A1 should need this wire or any other new Audi in that fact.
With regards to the steering ecu, if the car has on board computer then it should be at least a midline ecu, so should at least support the cruise, just like the A3 regardless if it has MFSW. I can understand that there may not yet be a stalk for ones with MFSW as the steering module will be a highline, and in this case may be different to A3's and the actual stalk may be of different wiring or programme setting.
Anyhow, if i find out more, i will defo post on here and keep you updated mate.
Also trying to find out about the A4 B8 models?

Cheers

Danny

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Cruise_Control_Retrofitting_(8X)

There you go chaps, Ross-Tech claim that it is the same as an A3 in terms of fitting. If the A1 has a DIS, then it can accept Cruise Control... it also doesn't mention anything about a wire... which worries me.

You can test for the wire by coding the CC into the Engine Module and see if the coding has changed, if it has, then no wire is needed.

you have to run the lock hard wire in every one i have done so far