1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

retrofit xenons

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by chris_20, May 4, 2007.

1. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[May 4, 2007]
    alright lads, im currently in the market for the above. now ive heard stories of warning lights on dashboards when they have been fitted so have any of u guys fitted them and which ones did u go for?

cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

[May 5, 2007]
    i got mine off eBay from a seller that sold kits by this manufacturer http://www.xtreme-hid.tk/

very easy to fit and no probs with it throwing faults on the dis.

you need a kit that is designed for the H7 fitment, i got the 6000k version and it is amazing.

oh, and don't worry about the stories about it failing the m.o.t, mine passed with them fitted, they didn't even notice that it had xenon's fitted and the m.o.t was done at Nationwide Autocentres, not a dodgy back street tester.
  4. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[May 5, 2007]
    Just curious - do you not need to have headlight washers for Xenon lights?

So if you retrofit the Xenons, are you breaking any rules by not having the washers?
  5. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

[May 5, 2007]
    i haven't got headlight washers fitted, not uk law at present.

this what i mean about the m.o.t test, if you need washers fitted with xenon's then they need to check your car to see if xenon's are fitted, but they didn't do this at the test, all they checked was the alignment of the headlights and this was fine as they didn't alter it or mark it on the test sheet that there was a problem
  6. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[May 5, 2007]
    This has (and I'm sure will continue to be) been asked so many times now!

Cars fitted with xenons at the factory have to have auto levelling and washers. If you fit them yourself you don't have to worry. On our cars we have projectors fitted as standard, so this helps. I recently went for my MOT and the tester didn't bat an eyelid as the light from the projectors was fairly sharp and not dazzling. My mate went in with his Mercedes C240 and it failed because he had the standard halogen reflectors.

Chris, I've got a set of 6000k xenons and they are a huge improvement over the standard halogens which were just awful. It was a simple install and threw up no errors on the DIS, and the colour is spot on. A bit blue but not overly blue which probably will attract the boys in blue and a lot of chavs. I got a really cheap set as well, and 4 months on no problems at all.
  7. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[May 5, 2007]
    cheers lads, i was just looking in the engine bay and there doesnt seem to be any room whatsoever for the ballasts. can some of u guys who have retro'd them post a pic of where u attached the ballasts.

cheers
  8. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[May 5, 2007]
    There's enough room in there mate, the ballasts don't take up too much space although you're right, it is a tight squeeze.

What I've done is used cable ties to secure the ballasts, as I didn't want to mount them properly using the brackets and the bolts.
  9. andyccr

andyccr 2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

[May 5, 2007]
    Chris, check out ebay, there are often some sets of genuine A4 saloon/avant xenon lamp sets up for sale. Not as cheap as the retrofit, but you can't beat OEM ! I managed to pick up a set of genuine cabriolet ones - not cheap at £300 for the pair - but 3 screws and one connector plug in and out - and done.

Andy
  10. terrysingh

terrysingh Member

[May 5, 2007]
    there was a guy selling the valeo audi ballast and bulb on ebay, which fits directly into the headlight a few weeks ago?? for about £140ish
  11. andyccr

andyccr 2003 1.8T Sport Ebony Black A4 Cabriolet

[May 5, 2007]
    I forgot, I have a set here !!! Genuine tested ballasts and two new Philips bulbs plus the H7 adaptor bases. suitable for saloon and avant lamps, not for cabriolet (Hence me buying genuine headlampsin the end).

£100 if anyones interested. The ballasts fit underneath the headlamps. Plenty of guides on the USA audi sites - can fit if you are close to me.

Andy