1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofit steering wheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by mattjay50, Sep 23, 2012.

1. mattjay50

mattjay50 New Member

[Sep 23, 2012]
    I've been offered an S3 8P steering wheel and was wondering if it will fit my 2002 S3, is this possible? Are the splines the same size? Any help would be appreciated
    thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 23, 2012]

The wheel will fit fine but the airbags are different on the 8P. 8Ls have just one sensor to activate the airbag, 8Ps have two. To make an 8P airbag work you will need a custom made wiring harness to bypass the second sensor otherwise you'll get all sorts of warning lights, fault codes not to mention a malfunctioning or inactive airbag. The only people I know who can do this work are Hazzy Dayz so best give them a call for an up-to-date price. Home - Vw & Audi Sat Nav, Bluetooth , TV Tuners, Cruise Control Installations UK

IMG_0080.jpg
  4. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

[Sep 24, 2012]
  5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Be careful buying theses without the airbag/cover as theses can cost more than the wheel !!
  6. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Dave who wired your wheel up?
  7. Sevv

[Sep 24, 2012]
    yeah i was looking at that the airbag is quite expensive.. though the wheel was same trim as the dash piano black so i though it blend well...guess need to look for another one.

just need to know how to get that wiring harness
  8. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 24, 2012]

Good advice Dave, an airbag alone can cost £350.
  9. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Sevv as I've already posted the only people I know that can make a wiring harness for you are these guys:

Home - Vw & Audi Sat Nav, Bluetooth , TV Tuners, Cruise Control Installations UK

A few 8L owners have fitted this wheel and most/all of us have used the guys above. If there is anyone else who is confident doing this type of work then perhaps someone can add their details to this thread......
  10. Sevv

[Sep 24, 2012]
  11. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Sevv - Yes I used these guys to do the whole thing. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's that straight forward to just send a wiring harness. Best bet is to give them a call. They can supply the wheel or you could send one you had already bought off eBay to them and save the VAT. It was quite a job fitting it though and they had most of the dash in bits for most of the day!
  12. Sevv

[Sep 24, 2012]
    by most of the dash in bits you mean they took it all of.. so im assuming its not as easy as plug and play like a aftermarket headunit ...

well i have em a ring told me to send them over an email so i hope ill be able to do it!! it would compliment the TT pedal and 8P knob
  13. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

[Sep 24, 2012]
    I had a google to see if there were any wiring diagrams for it - from what I found I think you have to retrofit a different airbag control module. Which then requires retro fit of the wiring harness back up to the airbag.

@AJC - If you don't mind, how much did the retrofit cost? did you supply the wheel & airbag?

Liam
  14. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Liam - I supplied the wheel complete with airbag (which was £400 off eBay) and the cost to retrofit was around £200 inc VAT and parts. He used an Audi harness which he had to adapt to suit and I was there the whole day whilst he was fitting it. Think they flashed a new program to the control module as well. Certainly not plug and play.
  15. vfr800

vfr800 Active Member

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Cheers. Seems like a reasonable cost if you can get a wheel & airbag.

Do all the multifunction buttons work correctly? Did you have to change the slip ring?
  16. AJC

AJC 3rd Gear

[Sep 24, 2012]
    Yes all buttons work and I had had SDS fitted before so the speech functions work. Don't think they changed the slip ring? Considering how long it takes I thought the price was good. Fitting a stereo yourself is one thing, trying to correctly wire an explosive airbag was something best left to the professionals I thought.
  17. Sevv

[Sep 25, 2012]

hello mate i contacted hazzy dazzy Ltd... they have informed me that they can do a wiring harness for the airbags however the buttons on the wheel will be dysfunctional...

thats what they said

"Hi Sebastien,

Thanks for your email, the loom to fit a TT Mk2 wheel and airbag to your model A3 8L will cost £120 + VAT. This will effectively make it plug and play.

Best Regards

Gareth Hawkridge

HazzyDayz Ltd"

then they didnt realize it was the wrong car so ... they sent this again once i told em it was an S3 8L

"No they're not the same, however the loom we can supply will make everything work except for the Multifunction Buttons"

SUCH A BUMMER!

AJ i like the term "explosive thats hillarious" just imagine fitting it and all of a sudden you find your head bouncing back!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  18. Sevv

[Oct 2, 2012]