1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofit Rear Parking Sensors?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by ryanstewart9, Sep 18, 2009.

1. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Or someone else with bigger balls, lmfao
  2. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Sounds like your auditioning for Blue Peter...
  3. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

So the factory kit's buzzer comes through the stereo speakers then?
  4. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

I dont think so, OEM doesn't. It has a buzzer mounted at the rear suspension mount turret.
  5. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Ew is spot on, seperate little speaker
  6. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

Ah, now I understand why people complain about the weak sounding warning.

I'm surprised they dont use a similar system to BMW where the stereo speakers are used, so you dont have to turn the stereo down to hear it.

I would have thought this would have been easy for Audi to do with canbus.
  7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Its not a weak warning at all, you can set the loudness & different tone with the DIS dependent on cluster version or with vagcom.

Its fairly loud overall but with my tunes on it is quiet, lol.

& yes canbus, but we're talking audi & it is the bottom of the range car if you think about it, thats why proper mmi cars have it built into the car systems better.

I wanna electronic brake in my A3, but I am not gonna get it, lol.
  8. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Have you seen how it works? Its just an electric motor on the rear calipers (well on a passat that was in). No probs to you Mr N..
  9. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Stop it, you know how I am with new tech, that would be a cool mod though on the 8P huh, lmao.................... Goes to hunt down a passat on ebay
  10. Brian566

Brian566 Member

Hi New Boy needs help
    Just joined I have a A3 2006 Sport back do you no before I remove the bumper are the hole for parking sensors marked at the rear

I have read that they maybe
  11. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Welcome to the site.

They wernt marked when I did my oem install, also is it a sport or an sline?

You need to measure or ask someone to measure the positions then use a 20-21mm holecutter, worked perfectly for me.
  12. Chielvb

Chielvb Member

Just removed mine yesterday, I saw 4 crosses ( + ) at the inside of the bumper, all at the same height (+/- 50 cm from the floor) I think these are the marks, just look for them
  13. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

Nige,

I've been looking on ebay.de at the control units for the parking sensors. Now according to ETKA I need part number: 8P0 919 283 D, but will 8P0 919 283 work ok? Is the D just an updated version?
  14. khalil

khalil Member

15. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

16. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Put into etka the part number without the D on end & it should show if it supersede's to the D or not, it may go A, B, C & then D or even newer, but if it goes to D along the way then you know its compatible, but need to get the correct sensors for that module aswell as they have changed a little over the years in size & technicalities as in some are now park steering assist aswell which you dont want as relies on other expensive parts aswell, the version that steers for you.

Nah thats the £30 cheap jobby with an audi badge on it afaik, works of reverse wire not the canbus.
  17. khalil

khalil Member

guessing the one HAZZYDAYS are selling/fitting are the same cheap version ones?
  18. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Quite possibly cause unless they run looms into the front & also you can adjust the sounds in the DIS then its the cheapo kit which are a total ripoff, they're same as the ones on ebay for what now £9.99, I know whats involved with the oem fitment & trust me its not a 5 minute job.
  19. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Hey, I cant do that yet either LOL. I need to keep my eyes open for new network controller LOL
  20. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

I typed in 8P0 919 283 and it was dropped on 01/11/2005, use replacement part 8P0 919 283 A. A dropped on 01/11/2006, use C. C dropped on 01/01/2007 use D. No update for D.

I guess this means I should be looking for an A,C or D?

The dual zone sensors (front/back) I think use part number 8P0 919 475 F, D or E depending on model.

Also will I need a holder for the unit or do you know if the car already has this in place?
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  21. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

If its been superseded then you can use any one of those 5 units mate as even old cars use the newer D modules & they're originals were the non letter version & the bracket should already be in your car hidden behind the drivers rear quarter boot cover thats sprung clipped in place, funnily enough I have to go into there tomorrow to fit an updated cnvenience module, so might grab some pics.
  22. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

care to share why? LOL
  23. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

If you mean reason for upgrade, main reason is to get rid of this fault vcds has with my original module which has no letter, seems to loose the long coding everytime I access it & RT cant track fault down, its not my module at fault but I'm fecked of waiting a year now for them to fix it in VCDS, so thought lets update anyway at a small cost & see if it fixes this & maybe something gets added along the way, fix mostly
  24. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

What would be a fair price for a used control unit?

Looking at some on ebay.de and the price seems to fluctuate quite a bit.
  25. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Ask audi what prices are then ask the question again mate, lol, anything less than them is a winner no
  26. a3_dan

a3_dan Member

Can anyone provide all the parts I require if I want to do this install? With part numbers if possible...

Thanks,
    Dan
  27. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

You can easily goto audi mate & ask them to list them for you, 4 sensors, control module, 2 looms, now you cant buy the main controllerto car loom, but sensor to controller loom you can, repair wires yes but cant get loom from audi on its own without the rest of that area wiring, question is now mate do you want the proper system that integrates with the cars CAN system & possibly shows in your DIS to change sound settings or do you just want the cheapest going that works of reverse wire?

Be warned either way you'd need to drill the bumper out as you cant buy brackets for the bumper sensors, its new bumper totally that comes with the brackets (stuck on with double sided tape, yes double sided tape, wtf) so I got some A6 brackets & superglued/epoxied them in place with sensors, I preferred oem style & love it, now gonna look at fitting the fronts aswell.
  28. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

fronts? mmmmmmm...........
  29. a3_dan

a3_dan Member

I think i will want to do a proper job, so would want to integrate with the cars CAN system. I will pop by to my local Audi and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the tip with regards to the brackets. I think if or when I do this mod, I will have to also use these brackets. Thanks for the info!

How many hours work is this? For a half savvy person? lol

Dan
  30. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Goto audi, hope your not wearing any pants cause they will butt feck you on the cost, sensors are £70+ each let alone rest & you will need the wiring diagrams, hours well I did over a longer period as was doing many things at same time like removable towbar & others, so couldnt say, but maybe half a day if you're feeling perky lol
  31. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

I got the loom & sensors from ebay.de for £90+del + IIRC £35 for module, as N say, they are dear to buy new.

N, what are the fronts wired into?
  32. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

A control module K.
  33. JamesS4cab

JamesS4cab Well-Known Member

I just called Audi and they wanted £750 supply and fit for the rears for OEM......I nearly fell off my chair.

Amersham Audi want £250 supply and fit for authorised after-market.
  34. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

I did say dont wear any pants :asskicking:
  35. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Kinda guessed as much LOL. I think your up to something....
  36. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Meeeee, never..........................
  37. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

Ok bought a control unit from ebay.de

So if I read correctly Nig the control unit just slots into place & it's not held in by any kind of nut/bolt? (pics would be great if possible)

Also I'm guessing I need to purchase a buzzer otherwise I wont be hearing anything :tocktock:
  38. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Whose Nig btw??? lol

Yes mate it just pushes/clips into position on the existing bracket, you dont need pics dude, its obvious once bracket unbolted from car, cant go anywhere else & get buzzer from audi for minimal costs & make a short loom from 2 repair wires & a small connector for the buzzer, it sits just on the shelf by the rear driver side seat belt roller part thats also hidden behind that side trim you removed, it has 2 plastic locator lugs also bought from audi & you can see 2 holes there ready for the buzzer to be located into.
  39. ryanstewart9

ryanstewart9 Member

Sorry Nigel....

Just been out playing with my new cable :jump:

I noticed on ETKA that the buzzer is held in place with a couple of rivets, is this right?

I've also purchased the cable for the front of the car to the control unit from Kufatec, would you know if this have the buzzer lead built in to it?

Thanks
  40. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

Its two plastic rivit type pins IIRC. The kind the centre pushes through to release.

Looking at the picture of the wiring loom I believe it does. Im sure the small black plastic connector at the top of the picture is it.