Retrofit of genuine xenon headlamps & aftermarket HID kit.

o0timbo0o

Reaction score
I've purchased 2 factory xenon headlamps ( no bulbs,ballasts or wiring) + kaufatec harness adapter with the idea of fitting them with an aftermarket canbus xenon kit. There is a seller on ebay right now selling genuine Philips canbus kits for £140 ish. He is selling them With variants of H1,H3,H4-Bi xenon , H11

I've read the the genuine bulbs are D3S , is that a specific fitment ? i.e none of the 'H' type bulbs will fit ? or is it a type of bulb which utilises one of the 'H' type fitments?

This will determine if i carry on with the project as getting hold of genuine HID ballasts wiring and so forth is prohibitively expensive

Try posting over on Audizine as they have a few guys that know their stuff with xenons.

The oem bulbs are D1S, and nothing like the 'H' range of bulbs.........time to replan your idea.

The oem bulbs are D1S, and nothing like the 'H' range of bulbs.........time to replan your idea.

Agreed! .. and since did a little more digging !

I think i'm straight now .. just need someone to check out the method of attack as listed below.
  • I take the font bumper off
  • Unplug & remove my H7 headlamps
  • Take the replacement oem xenon headlamps and attach the ballast and bulb ( something i will have to purchase) . part numbers if anyone has them would be handy as the ones i bought didn't come with any
  • Fit the OEM xenon headlamp.
  • Refit bumper
  • enable the mainbeam via VCDS
  • Adjust the headlamps to the correct levels.

Hopefully that's it ??

I can't comment on the parts you refer to but I'm really bemused as to why you would go to so much effort to install something that will result in having a BiXenon HID set up which won't be self levelling, have washer jets or be directional........nor will it be technically be legal :readit:

Why don't you just put a HID kit in your standard lamps and have done with it...... :think:

Last edited:
Afaik ( i could be wrong and don't mind being corrected) the mot doesn't check that xenon lights have a levelling system or washers on board.
As the oem xenon lamps have projectors in them it's got a better chance of passing an mot. The lenses also make the car look a lot more aggressive. Currently it looks like a 6 year old kid getting their 1st bollocking off a teacher.

Hid in normal reflector type lenses is highly illegal , is spotted a mile off and will get you pulled at a moments notice.( that I do know!)

You're right to be fair, but where the law is concerned something is either legal or it is not. Like you say, some things are just less risky.

I've done the xenon headlight conversion and have a d1s Osram bulb left over if its any good to you

yes i'd be interested , that's all i have left to purchase ( what temperature is the bulb ? ideally looking for a 5300k) .. .. can you check out post number 5 of this thread and let me know if i have the basic procedure right ?!

Yes, you've got it spot on really. Your control module needs to be compatible to be able to code it with Vag Com but this normally depends on the year of your car. I had to change mine and its an 06. I'll try and dig out the part number for you if I can get my head under the footwell enough!

The colour temp of the xenon tube I have is 4300, as OEM. I kept it that way so they werent too blue. £5 to cover postage and its yours.

Another thing to note is the DRL's. YOu can switch them to be permanently on or off with vag com but it will be better to fit the proper switch in place of your levelling switch if you can.

Great ! thanks .. i wanted OEM anyway , thought that was 5.3k ??!?!

Can you PM me your email address and i'll sort out some fundage via paypal or something.

what control module do you refer too ? mines an 06 too! does that mean more money !?!? :(

Not bothered too much about the DRL's .. i'm just more interested in being able to see in the dark !!

the part no for the module is 8E0 907 279 N you need to take cover off below steering wheel and you can see the module, part no is on the front, this is the highline module

Jan 2012 apparently will add the levelling & washer systems to the mot mate, so if you get pulled up on it, fail mot & if vosa check, its off the road until rectified afaik, so my advice is start looking for bumper with washer holes & the relevant parts to fit.

I do these fitment of systems if ever needed :)

The way things are going I think I'm going to sack of this upgrade and just buy an s4. One of my lights just turned up only to find it is of the later type (small plug for ballast). No good to me so I'll have to move it on. Was hoping to cannibalise it as number 2 headlight i have has a broken gimble bracket. Unfortunately that's about the only part that's different between the new and old style lights! So I have a full box of spares and an empty wallet.

Just out of curiosity I looked at the pin configuration between the 2 types and they are different !! There is one pin that has moved from the top of the plug to the bottom on the later type !?

Wonder how that effects the kufatec harness, it does suggest that it does bi-xenon / adaptive but quite how it manages to adapt to pin movement is anyone's guess.

Just a quick note about the m.o.t and xenons. The headlight washer and levelling point is only applicable to and enforceable to cars fitted with xenons as standard so if it has washers they have to wash the headlights and level sensors have to adjust beam range. Retro fit xenons fall outside regulation in this instance also one has to bear in mind most xenons kits are 35watts and uk law states a headlamp bulb should be no more than 65watts. People only give xenons a bad name by either poor headlight adjustment or geting bulbs higher than 6000k that just become more colourfull.