RETROFIT OEM XENON HEADLIGHTS

fericsson

Reaction score
Hi just wondered would a set of oem xenon headlights need coding to work?

Hi just wondered would a set of oem xenon headlights need coding to work?

No they do not need coding if they are going into an A4 which previously had Halogen headlights.
Coding is only required with respect to the "Auto-Levelling" function part of HID Xenons - which you all know is an European Legal requirement - but we will not go there as it has been discussed many times. Also note you need Headlight washers to be 100% legal with HID's - this only requires coding in the Power Control Module on the B7 not the B6.

Xenon Headlight units will have the 4-wire stepper motors which are linked into front/rear suspension sensors and a control unit behind the glovebox - this is the part relating to coding.
Halogen units have a 3-wire servo motor where headlight level control is controlled via a 0/1/2/3 level adjuster switch next to the light switch.
You could rewire the motor connector of a Xenon unit to take the signals for a 3-wire servo motor. There is an extra wire used in the headlight connector on HID Xenons.

Have recently put the OEM Valeo ballasts in a H7 enclosure linked here using a D2S HID bulb and not the OEM D1S bulb.

Have headlight wiring diagram if anybody needs it - just PM me your email address.

A4-B6%20Headlight%20Rangle%20Control.jpg

Audi%20A4-B6%20-%20Headlight%20Wiring%20-%20Halogen%20vs%20Xenon.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SmoothAssault
Thanks guys fitted lights now they look great no problems at all so far!

Thought I'd drag this thread into 2014. I recently fitted OEM S4 Xenon headlights, and as already stated here they worked with no coding required.

However, 'working' seems to be limited to just the fact they turn on and off when they're supposed to. I just discovered the level adjuster doesn't work at all. Which looking at the info Woorlord has provided seems to make sense, given that the Xenon units are supposed to be auto-levelled, not manually adjusted.

I've got a feeling I already know the answer to this, but does anyone have an idea how much of a pain in the **** retrofitting the auto-level sensors would be?

If it's a unanimous, "MASSIVE" pain in the ****, then I guess the way to go will be to try rigging the servos to work with the manual level control? Something that hopefully won't involve irreversibly ruining them if they ever need to go back into an auto-levelled car? :/

Thanks

Reading the above diagram, it looks like it would be fun to do! Not impossible though. Albeit, that diagram only shows some of the system.

There is 2 sensors (one on the front and one on the rear suspension) then a control unit. Some wiring goes to the instrument cluster, all wiring to the sensors etc.

Be good if someone (ahem) goes ahead and does a write up?! ;-)

Someone may come along say they have done it and it's easy. I'm only going off from what I know and the diagram above.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I think fitting the sensors should be relatively easy providing they bolt onto my existing suspension components, it would be running the cabling that I wouldn't enjoy.

I've just seen Kufatec do an adapter: Bi-Xenon Headlights - Adapter - Audi A4 B6/8E-36191

I imagine this just gets the servos working via the level-adjuster, so that's a decent fall-back plan if auto-levelling turns out to be a no-go.