Retrofit auto lights with coming home feature

pav767

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here! Was wondering if its possible to fit the auto lights function with the coming/leving home feature? Didn't come as standard as i went for the sport model..

Thanks

You would definitely need a new headlamp switch, which has the Coming Home button on it, but I'm not sure if simply plugging this in would operate this feature. Maybe it could be coded with VAG-COM?

To be honest, although I have it on my SE I've never once used it, and I recall one recent post where someone said they often get stopped in car parks to be told they've left their lights on ...

I always use mine in my dark driveway & sometimes switch it off in carparks,where you dont need the light, but you do get chased by people shouting your lights are on.
I guess it depends on where you keep your car, buy a switch & try it, if its not to expensive or ask the dealer.

where can i get a switch from? would i need to program through vagcom? is it straight forward to install? I'm mainly looking for the auto light function, had it on a loaner once and was great.

The auto lights will be much harder to install as you don't have the light sensors on the rear view mirror for a start so would need a completely new mirror and mounting assembly, plus cabling.

oh right...didn't think it that difficult. think i best leave it

Auto lights are not that great, just as easy to switch them yourself IMO, mine sometimes go on & off when under treecovered roads, im sure other cars wonderwhat im doing, flashing away.
But i still leave mine on auto all the time, i must be really lazy.

The auto lights are veru usefull when I'm holiday in Germany and Austria for tunnels. You are required by law to put your headlights on in all tunnels and at least with the auto lights I can nevr forget.

The other time they are useful is when I put the car in the garage. The back of the garage is naturally quite dark and as I drive into the garage the headlights come on.

The auto wipers are OK but I often feel their not quite sensitive enough, even on the most sensitive setting. Mind you, just as I think there not going to come on early enough and move my fingers to switch them on manually on they come. It's as if they can read my mind - scarey!

I had auto light on the last car and wouldn't be without them now, just so convenient. One thing I've noticed over the years is that, if you override them when you deem it necessary, they will "learn" from your inputs and adjust their sensitivity.

Auto wipers are new to me on this car (old one had auto lights only, before rain sensors were available on the A3) and so far I'm not too sure about them - they seem very erratic, sometimes wiping the screen in the timely fashion and sometimes leaving it a bit too late for comfort. Can't help feel that, as the actual sensor is fairly small in area, it's down to luck how much water happens to fall on the sensor area at any given time.