1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retrofit 2010 A3 Sportback Rear LED Light problem

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 210_MIH, Aug 14, 2012.

1. 210_MIH

210_MIH Drive it like u stole it

HI

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this...

When I put my headlights on, the rear LED ring lights up. Itsfine until I press the brake, and then the error warning comes on the dashsayin ‘right rear light’ and the outer off side rear light ring turns off - theone on the boot lid seems fine.
    I used these adaptors - (Audi A3 S3 8P or 8PA Sportback Facelift LED rear lights adapter cable set | eBay)
    and the lights were coded also...
    Im thinking maybe some water is getting in? As it happenedsoon after I washed it over the weekend... anyone had this issue or know aremedy? I read in another thread to usemultispray?
    Help appreciated.
  2. ashaudia3

ashaudia3 Member

sent u a reply mate
  3. martinivw

martinivw :)

Ive had this problem also , adapters are terrible for catching and holding water, which caused it on mine, really need a certain member to hardwire them in when he comes up to bonnie Scotland ;),
    Remove light and disconnect clean both adapters and try to position adapter in a different position
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  4. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Martin, we will need to get Nigel up here, maybe if we speak real nice to him he will come for a visit, he will love us all so much, he will just stay. Hope your reading this Nige? :) x
  5. martinivw

martinivw :)

Absolutely , I'm sure he'll love the West Side, all joking aside I do know what he means about needing enough work to warrant his trip :(
  6. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

​Thinking i may need to go a little jaunt to Italy and kidnap him, lmao. :) x
  7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

lol, thanks ladies, maybe if me & relations continue as going it maybe a move to the shetlands lmao.

As per stated, never use adapters for various reasons, 1 being the water issue & it adds another link in the chain that can cause problems, plus wiring to the number plate bulbs is not by design, adds more load to a circuit not designed for, regardless what people think, prefer to do as oem as possible to avoid issues, which to date not had 1 come back for anything, without blowing my own trumpet :)

Check to see if the adapters have the rubber seals to stop water getting in, if not then blame kufatec & they should know better as the original prefacelift connectors will have the seals for sure from factory.

I also wrap them in tape from inside the car upto the connector for this very reason.
    martinivw likes this.
  8. 210_MIH

210_MIH Drive it like u stole it

Thanks for all the help. the adapters were soaked in water. have wrapped them in PTFE tape followed by insulation tape. then zip tied them securely. hopefully no re-occurence.