Retro-fitting new style grill?

A3_TOBES

Reaction score
Can you retrofit the new style grill to a pre-facelift A3? Would it be a massive and costly job? Has anyone doe this already?

Alternatively are there any other similar style grills, IIRC there is another similar stle that someone does?

cheers and apologies if is a reposted question :)

Obviously, the best way to do this would be to source a later front bumper with the grill already attached - it will bolt straight on. If you just had the grill, it looks like it would go on to a pre-facelift bumper but not without a lot of work.

The new grille is narrower than the old one and as a result, I'd be very surprised if the front edge of the bonnet was the same.

Vertigo1 said:
The new grille is narrower than the old one and as a result, I'd be very surprised if the front edge of the bonnet was the same.

your right,i looked into this when the face lift came out,and the parts guy said,the lights and bonnet are different too,as well as the bumper.

I actually have the updated 1 piece grill fitted ro my pre-facelift s-line. I will have to email you the pictures as i arent sure how to post them. It looks great.

Mine was fitted under guarantee when i bought the car from Dulwich Audi - it was done third party but guaranteed by Audi in case i didnt like it.

It does have slight a variation to the current grills but only because they couldnt replace the whole bumper due to the washers for the xenons. If i didnt have xenons - it would be a 100% perfect conversion. I think its great anyway as i really didnt like the old grill - if i didnt they could have changed it back. The photos will give you a better idea.

In case i havent covered any queries - please ask.

Cheers.

My Mk1.5 grill...:)

A3GrillModjpg.jpg

A3_TOBES said:
Alternatively are there any other similar style grills, IIRC there is another similar stle that someone does?

ABT do a piece for the front bumper to mimic the later style grille. Awesome do it for about £160 all in

J.

Cheers ABT is the one I think ive seen pics on here b4. Looks nice. Will have a scout around on the web for some pics.

That actually looks better than the standard Audi grille tbh. The extra width suits it more I think.

you need to look for some more pics of that grille though.

The new part does look stuck on from smoe angles. I'll have a search around and see if I can find some pics. It'll illustrate what I mean.

J.

that is exactly the same one i have on my car. You are right in thinking that from a different angle the chrome edging does not sit flush to the rest of the bumper but its not a bad effort. I also removed the ABT badge

Has anyone just painted theirs black? What would this look like?

Quite like the ABT one, but as J says, it doesn't fit flush.

see 04 plate nose job thread - its not proud - its a whole new front section bumber with oem audi rs4 (or s4) grille.
cost 800pound painted and fitted though

mine looks sooooo inferior compared to that hofele.com design. Would post picks if someone kind enough could kindly point me in the right direction as to how.

Cheers.

Mike,

You need to have them hosted on the web somewhere and then just put
no spaces.

Or load them up into here and create yor own gallery.

Failing that I can host/post them for you :D

J.

Go on then MB rit us with how much it costs?!

I'm not sure about tho, I mean I like it in TDI-line's pics above, but i'm not sure about the last pics... looks a bit Golf GTI (which isn't a bad thing). Just can't put my finger on it.

Don't suppose it's easy to fit either?!

They're MikeClaks pics of his car, Aweseom sell the gill for about £165 inc the dreaded and delivery. I spoke to Abt about this a little while ago and apperently it just sticks on. I'm sure Mike will be along to confimr this.

J.

yeah - i think the side bits that make up the grill to the left and right of the number plate are stuck on but you can only tell from close up and from an angle. I personally dont like the black bit above my number plate - this was 1 of the parts they replaced so why couldnt they have filled it with mesh grill a la Hofele.
I didnt pay for this conversion though and we had agreed a price prior to them doing it so i'll accept it on this car.