RETRO-FIT DIS (Driver Information System)

fesss_84

Sylar
Reaction score
hi Ladies and Gents

Does anyone know how to retro-fit a audi DIS, and how complicated it is, isit "swappable" with the currentblack screen between the speedo and rev counter. are all the connection ready for it to be fitted? does it require VAG com?

If i install the DIS what will happen to the half size digital screen inside the speedo and rev, (one is the mileage) and other shows Time and Temperature.

as far as i know at the moment the black screen if you can call it that, only lights up when doors are open, and thats done very very crudely using a single LED, behing a cut out shaped like the car. lol

I've asked the question of my supplying dealer: tried to add DIS to the spec. of my factory order but too late. They are (allegedly) checking
Once I have a reply I'll try to post here

You cant buy the DIS on its own from Audi. You need to change the entire speedo housing assembly.

Post up a picture of your clocks and we''ll compare all the differences.

is there a way just to purchase and install the DIS screen into my exisiting speedo cluster, the hassle of changing it all is far too great.

the existing cluster does have a screen there but its nt DIS, it only shows very primitevely which doors are open, can this be removed and a DIS installed into its place?????????

has anyone does this kinda mod before, or does anyoneknow ehre to find more infrmation about installing DIS screens

does anyone have any idea, about colour DIS screens...iv looked on ebay for them, but they must be a rare occurance.

basically because you have an se you have the basic dis like my friends mk4 golf, if you spec the dis as an extra you get the large dot matrix screen like you see of most of the dash shots of audi.

THere is no way to change just the black bit as the whole middle bit would be changed but that is not possible you would need a complete new set of clocks

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sothats the downall of the SE model,

the only reason i got an SE over the sport, is because it comes with more stuff related to comfort such as cruise, light and rain pack etc.

so if i install a RNS-e into my car, will the navigation be displayed in the current red screen or not ?? are they any pitfalls, of usig the RNS-e without the full dot matrix screen??

Luckily, my previous 1st owner was smart...

He bought the SE then added ALL the sport features to it so I get the big DIS screen too =D

That's unlucky though fesss_84, don't give up!

On another note, am I able to get the colour DIS to replace my red one?

aye enzimo, sounds like your first owner was smart and made of monney lol, its just the cost of it all that puts me off,

if you do find a replacement then sell me your speedo cluster (inc the dot matriz screen). o yer iv jus read your signature, iv been looking for some nice beige interior, do you know anywhere i can find some, for 5-door (Seats, Door Cards, Glove Box, Armrest).

Cheers Mate

don't think you can fit the colour screen

the rns will not work with the basic dis at all as far as i'm aware instructions will just be displayed on the acutal rns itself

the colour dis would be a complete dash cluster too it's not a simple or cheap job

think it's only £200 extra or something to spec the dis on an se when you buy it

fesss_84 said:
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sothats the downall of the SE model,

the only reason i got an SE over the sport, is because it comes with more stuff related to comfort such as cruise, light and rain pack etc.
I got an SE too but added DIS from the options list! I doubt you'd find the DIS panel alone on eBay or from other suppliers - it's almost certain you'll need a new set of clocks which will swap in and out. Thinking it through, because DIS was an option the factory will need to put it in quickly so I reckon only the clocks differed.
fesss_84 said:
so if i install a RNS-e into my car, will the navigation be displayed in the current red screen or not ?? are they any pitfalls, of usig the RNS-e without the full dot matrix screen??
I answered this in another thread last week I think - the answer will be no. From what you've described, there's just nowhere for the directions or the road name to be displayed. In navigation mode from the RNS-E, the whole DIS screen is used to show times, distances, directions, arrows and things.

I doubt too that there would be any problems using an RNS-E without DIS; the Audi CAN system is modular and seems to support these extras if they exist. For example, after I installed my RNS-E, it automatically started using the DIS display with no coding. If anything doesn't work, then you'll need VAG-COM to quickly sort it out.

This thread has some relevant information

Obviously you'll need a new cluster with DIS. You'd also need to find out what extra sensors are required, for example temperature or fuel. If you find any info please post it mate :icon_thumright:

I'm sorry to pour cold water on this but I remember this being discussed in some detail a couple of years ago and it was decided that changing the entire car would involve less effort and expense than retrofitting the DIS.

I'm sorry to pour cold water on this but I remember this being discussed in some detail a couple of years ago and it was decided that changing the entire car would involve less effort and expense than retrofitting the DIS.

Sorry, but that is boolloxs :)

Sorry, but that is boolloxs :)

Couldn't agree more.. Get yourself down a breakers yard and you can retro-fit almost anything, get some help from here and you won't even have any fitting costs!

If anyone needs a new compatible DIS ECU let me know cause i got one!!!
You`ll probably need a new one i guess

The last Cost I had to update the Clocks to DIS you need
1) The Complete clock assembly as it all one unit
2) New Wiper Stalk with DIS control
3) Then to Recode it with Vagcom

The last cost I did was
£95 to £100 for the clock assembly from a breakers
£65 For new switch
£75 to fit and Recode it