Reserve?

wiggsy

Reaction score
hey peps

I have 2009 sline 1.4T (petrol)

When waiting to refuel i have my mile count down on the computer- thing is i will take it down to say 10 mils lefte before "run out" and need to fill up and the car is in theory empty but the manual petrol dial is only half way in between the 1st quarter red area showing some left to go?

The thing that im woundering is does the refill warning light stay just static yellow it get to zero on the count down and your car will conk out or does it go to zero and then start using a reserve tank and then the refill light flashes? (this is what my prev car did)

if this is the case what is the miles roughly... at mo the light comes on when i have 30miles left to empty on the count down clock and the car makes the refill bing noise...

cheers

p.s I dont fancy running it to empty to find out :p

im not too sure, but ive had my trip computer reading as 0 miles till i run out for 5 miles till i managed to find a petrol station. think it took a good 60-62lt of petrol to fill so i must have been right on the limit!!

cheers i wont risk it any lower than 10m to be safe, sods law i go to p.station to fill up with 5m left and they closed!!!

thats what happened to me, well i found one on my sat nav, got there and it wasnt there any more and to top that off i was running late for a family dinner.... was all very stressful! now whenever i hit 1/4 left i hunt down a shell station

I've pushed it over 25 miles past 0mi showing on the DIS, last night for example, as my gf cowered in the passenger seat awaiting a breakdown :D

Danger is my middle name.

think the best i've done is 40mi... i've run this car dry once - had to push it 200m to the nearest petrol station. that was fun!!

I fill mine when it shows around 30 miles at the latest. The lower you leave it the more it costs to fill up!!!

surly thsts just a myth coz the pipe that draws the petrol must be at the bottom ofteh tank, so wouldnt it just get pulled in anyway?

I've pushed it over 25 miles past 0mi showing on the DIS, last night for example, as my gf cowered in the passenger seat awaiting a breakdown :D

Danger is my middle name.

I love your style heeman10 :D also on my after the red gauge it says "R" which i would assume means Reserve doesnt it? so i dont know if it means when i reach the end of the red and it goes on the "R" if it is then using a reserve tank or not :S but im not gonna bother trying cause i have runned the DIS to 5 then for a laugh stuck 1litre of fuel (£1.18.9) and the DIS said 0 xD haha

the light does change to red and as its a digital readout id doubt that there is any reserve fuel as youve no excuse since a manual gauge can be misread

I just treat it as when the computer says 0 miles left, refill asap. I did this last week and put 52 litres in just after it hit zero. As i have a maximum capacity of 55 litres the car could easily have done another 30 miles + if I drove sensibly.

The reserve is just a term for the last 5 litres in the tank. There is no reserve tank per se, but as others have said the guage is slightly inaccurate and I would just rely on the computer to guide you.

So hold on, if there's a further 30-40 miles left after the DIS reaches 0 miles my car must be more economical than I thought.
Most I've got out of a tank is 280 miles before refilling, and that was done with the DIS showing 10 miles left. So potentially I could've got 320-330 miles out of that tank??

Still pretty crap economy though.

So hold on, if there's a further 30-40 miles left after the DIS reaches 0 miles my car must be more economical than I thought.
Most I've got out of a tank is 280 miles before refilling, and that was done with the DIS showing 10 miles left. So potentially I could've got 320-330 miles out of that tank??

Still pretty crap economy though.

i would say depends on your driving style and if you got a heavy foot and do heavy breaking :S i dont know what car you got but my simple 1.6 litre (no turbo or nothing) does an average of 400miles to the tank, but i have gotten it down to 280 (driving like a you know what lol) but then on a long run from peterborugh just doing steady miles with no traffic i got just short of 500 miles to the tank :O so i deffently believe that if you want to save money while driving you got to change your driving style :) also i had a car full of gear doing that run from peterborugh so i dunno how well it do if the boot was empty haha

Sean