Research S3

Viperpsych

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum.
I currentlly have a 1.8T Mk iv Golf, slightlly modified which i'm going to sell to buy an S3.
I have looked at the buying guide, Good stuff.
Any pointers.
I'm looking at really no more than 11k
Would i be able to get a facelift model with the 225bhp and decent mileage for this sort of cost.
Cheers in advance
Dan

Not a lot to add if you've read the buying guide. For 11K you might struggle getting a facelift 225 with low mileage, but you're not far off.

I moved from Golf 1.8T to the S3 last year. Very pleased with it.

an early (99-00) facelift model might be possible if you look around. Dont expect anything in the way of optional extras though. This price will also rule out any dealer stock too, as these will range from 14/15k for a 00 to 18/20k for an 03.

My S3 is for sale,99t reg imolla yellow and less than 63000 miles and you can have it for the kind of money your talking about,it is in excellent condition with allot of mods, give me a call on 07974928516 after 2pm or mail me.
Cheers "Bingo"

i think you may struggle to get a facelift model for 11k i looked for one for months and ended up getting a nog blue 2001 model 39000 miles for 13k which i dont think is over priced,but you wont hav a problem if miles dont bother you

they start at X reg - you will def. be able to get one, i expect it would have around 70-80k miles though

I have been offered a V plate S3 with 72k on the clock. It's a red/orange colour?
The guy that owns it is a cousin of my mates.
He want's 10k for it?
He's done the Timing belt & water pump already. And new susspension, it's been chipped and i think he's got Rs4's on it in 18" I've been told it's in very good nick.
He's a master tech for Audi so he knows what he's doing. I think.
Are there any major differences in the facelift model?
I'm poss gonna see it Tomorrow.
Is this a good price?
Cheers in advance.
Dan

I would ask for a bit off if it's V99 with 72k on the clock, for £10k it MUST be in mint condition with Ally mirrors, Bose, 6CD, armrest and parking sensors at the very least!. Remap, suspension and alloys are selling points imo, shouldn't add much to the actual value of the car.

Cheers mate.
I went to see it today.
It's in fairlly good nick.
No chrome mirros, parking sensors or armrest.
It has been revo'd and it has rs4 in 18".
However I wasn't impressed.
Compared to my Golf, it was stiffer to drive but it didn't feel as powerfull.
He reckons it's pushing about 280bhp.
I think i'll leave it.
I may even kee the golf and wind it up to about 250bhp.
Cheers for all your help people.
Dan

CANT SEE IT BEING 280BHP JUST FROM A REMAP,THINK HE IS BEING VERY OPPTAMISTIC UNLESS HE HAS ROLLING ROAD FIGURES THAT PROOVE WHAT HE IS SAYING

Remember that an S3 is 4wd and therefore may not feel as responsive as a 2wd car of lower power. 280bhp ? he's probably talking out his butt or believes what the tuner told him.
Make sure you try a few S3s before you make up your mind though as there's loads of rough ones (IMHO)out there. I looked at plenty before getting a minter in Belfast with plenty extras and for good money.

Also if you've done the suspension and remap on your Golf then you'll realise the difference it is from standard so consider this when looking at standard S3s.

HTH

Yeah, never really thought of it that way.
With regards to the figures, I thought revo stated about 265bhp.
Lying toe-rag.
I'm gonna try my mates golf with uprated suspenssion and see how i go.
I've spent loads on mine doing bits & bobs what with the t-belt and W-pump already being done as well.
I'm def gonna try a few more that are standard and modified.
I'll let you lot know.
Cheers for all of your help so far.
Dan