1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repost: HELP! Worrying A4

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by A4NA18, Mar 23, 2007.

1. A4NA18

A4NA18 Member

[Mar 23, 2007]
    Hello Lads,

Just got my car back from the garage. Got the timing belt and the tensioner replaced for £ 368.00.

BUT some strange points:

- The guy said that he could not find the same tensioner as the one before. So he had to pick a Audi stock tensioner which is apparently the new version for the B5.... What does that mean?
    - The timing belt got replaced and the change I spontanously noticed is the idle rpm which became a lot stable around 900rpm. The gas pedal is a lot responsive too.

BUT BUT BUT!!!

- when I run in a very slow speed / small maneuvre to park the car / in the first or rear gear, there is a very very annoying cracking/shaking/crumbling noise from the front of the car. What the heck is it???? Really worried because it is not the same type of noise/shaking that the car would do before stalling for instance. I tried intentionally to stall and then the car would not start again if I didn't press the gas pedal a little bit...

Second point, the car exhaust is guching out water. Normal?! I just hope it's condensation which was stuck in the exhaust which also makes this white smoke...

Well all in all the engine response is better than before but I am really worried about these points. Anybody could reassure me?

Appreciate your help.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Rich

Rich Rollin on boost mother hubbards

[Mar 23, 2007]
    Errr, I'm no expert but water/white smoke commng from an exhaust dosnt sound very healthy at all. I had my cam belt replaced 2 months ago and when I got it back it was making a weird grinding/rubbing sound which it turned out was because they had put the case on too tight or somthing and the belt was rubbing against the plastic! not good
  4. joost

joost Active Member

[Mar 23, 2007]
    The tensioner was re-designed and the first version discontinued from about 1997 IIRC, that's probably why he couldn't get one exactly the same.

Not sure about the idle/responsiveness, could be something to do with the throttle body adaptation/ECU reset as a result of disconnecting the battery (think ECU has to go through something akin to a learning phase).

Does the noise only happen when the wheels are straight or on full lock (just thinking along the lines of the wheelarch liner or undertray rubbing...)?

Water from the exhaust could be condensation but if it's accompanied by white smoke it could be water leaking from the block into the cylinder bore (had this happen on a Polo I used to own). Not trying to be an arse but are you sure it's smoke and not just steam? Is there mayonnaise on the oil cap?
  5. A4NA18

A4NA18 Member

[Mar 24, 2007]
    Hi Joost,

Well, the noise happen when it is full lock. So where should I look you reckon? If I lower the car by 40 or 60 is this noise going to be worse?

I will try to check if it is steam.... But if it is, there is no problem, isn't there?

Cheers for your answers mate!
  6. joost

joost Active Member

[Mar 24, 2007]
    I'd be tempted to check the wheel arch liner - you have to detach the back edge of the bumper from the liner to be able to remove it to change the timing belt. Might not have been put back quite right? It's less likely to be the undertray.

Easiest way is to put the steering full lock, get your hand in and feel all the way around the wheels (both sides) to see if anything's catching. Check underneath too. Then do the same again but with the steering on the opposite lock.

It depends what's causing the noise as to whether it'll get worse when it's dropped. Mine's been lowered about 45mm and the only thing that could cause a problem is the wheel/strut making contact - that's more to do with the wheels I've fitted though.

Good luck fella, hope you find what it is! :thumbsup:

If it's steam, I would worry too much.
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 24, 2007]
    Check your power steering fluid level (front right reservoir, in front of washer fluid), if that gets very low then you'll get a god awful shaking & grawnching noise when going lock to lock.
  8. joost

joost Active Member

[Mar 24, 2007]
    That too!:)
  9. A4NA18

A4NA18 Member

[Mar 25, 2007]
    I have checked the wheel arch liner and there is nothing on the way... Then again the noise is not always there so it is really hard to pin point when it actually makes it, and where... I have checked the liquid level and it is fine. The one thing I have noticed is that the front bumper seems to be attach a bit lower than before (gap between the bumper and the bonnet of 1cm)... Maybe they have not fitted it right. How difficult is to take the bumper and refit it? I can't really be arsed to take it to the garage just for that...

Thanks for your help!
  10. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed!

[Mar 25, 2007]
    Graunch or grawnch? I always thought the former....
  11. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 26, 2007]
    if you are not happy, either take it back or get a second opinion from another local mechanic.
    choose someone who works on Audi's/VW etc so you are not going through a learning experience.

if teh body work is not fitted back properly or you have noises and steam coming out of the exhaust then you have grounds to go back.

have your fluid levels changed at all? (water specifically)