Replacing rear ABS sensor A3 1.8 1996

Burdog3410

Reaction score
I've had my A3 for two years now, and starting to get peeved with the useless ABS system.. last year I had to replace the Pump, and 12 months on, MOT due, and the ****** ABS lights come on again :eek:(

I've had a garage run a diag and been told the OS Rear sensor needs replacing.... have got part number from Audi
1j0927807b... and found new part on ebay for £17...

One problem remains... havent got a scooby how to replace it :eek:(

Can someone tell me where its located, how to replace it, and anything I need to be aware of????

Please Helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

PS I service the car myself but dont know how to get rid of the 'Service' from the digital odometer... any suggestions? Thanx

alright mate, just had the same problem with my a3 o/sr wheel speed sensor, it was mangled though lol,
jack the back end up,
wheel off,
remove the caliper and disk,
theres a wire behind the dust shield which connects to the sensor ( its the only wire anywhere near the back disk)
remove that wire,
remove the allen key bolt,
then the sensor should come out ( my one was pretty stiff, hence the reason for removing the disk, as i had to go at it with a brass drift and a hammer haha)
put the new sensor in,
allen bolt in and connect the wire,
disk and caliper on,
wheel on.
and bobs ur cat
ABS light will most definatley be on still, so VAG-COM and clear the fault code.
Worked for me mate, watch your brake pipes, i decided to snap one by mistake.

as for the service indicator, vag com again :)
hope that helps,
Robbo

forgot to mention, remove the hand brake cable lol, you dont need to remove the brake line, just need to watch you dont snap it or burst the rubber bit

my abs light is on and its VCDS is saying this....

IMG_20120221_171541.jpg

do you need to remove the disk and pad? or can you take the sensor off without doing so??

i think you could, but it makes things much easier with the caliper and disc off. caliper just has 2 bolts holding it in, simples! -- then the disc has 1 cross head bolt :)

Reactions: deeman88
ABS Sensor.....

What? that thing you un-clip, pull out - and push new one back on?

Must have been my ratchet grip.

Dont forget to grease 'em up....just incase they go again.

But uh....removing things to replace. The wheel was about as far as it went.

Must have been my ratchet grip.

But uh....removing things to replace. The wheel was about as far as it went.

This is what my mechanic did to change the rear sensor on mine.

Isn't there some discussion around using none Audi sensors for these could be detrimental?

This is what my mechanic did to change the rear sensor on mine.

Isn't there some discussion around using none Audi sensors for these could be detrimental?

I put aftermarket one's on mine all round. £45 each from audi, full set aftermarket - £33...hmmmm

im more worried about the rear sensors, as i dont think that they have been changed since 1999. but will do try this soon :)