Replacing interior in A6 C5

a6dunning

Reaction score
I have an 2002 A6 C5 Sedan and I am looking at buying a used leather interior for it from a 98 A6 C5. The interior I have does not have folding rear seats but the new one has and i was wondering if the new one will still fit? Plus will they fold? Any help appreciated

Thanks,
Paul

I don't know for sure but expect it will depend on the bodywork fixings being supplied with seats, the parts that allow the base to move (if applicable as most are fixed and the hinges for the base of the seat back plus the catches at each top corner. Also, I thought the folding seats were only in the Avant so the metalwork would be different?

You could take your back seats out and go looking for a 98 A6 for sale to compare. The door cards and electrical seat connectors may also differ from a 98 model to your 2002 one.

What you will be missing are the locks that the seat backs secure themselves into as these are clearly not required on your current car. That may be a simple process of getting the locks and bolting them in or it may require a new set of trim for the rear bulkhead that has the cut outs and fixing points. Also if I recall correctly (I no longer have a sedan so can't look) cars with non-folding seats do not have a clear unobstructed space between the boot and the interior so you might want to check that before you go too far.

Allroader also makes a good point about electrics. If your 2002 is post the facelift then there may well be differences (pre-facelift then it is less likely) Having said that, by referring to the car as a Sedan I presume you are in the US in which case yours is almost certainly a pre-facelift as the changes applied to the 03 model. Finally are you certain the new interior is from a Sedan and not an Avant? The rear Avant seats are very unlikely to fit the Sedan and it may also be that the rear door trim is a different shape

All seats (front and rear) are perfectly swappable for an Audi A6 C5 (1998-2004) avant and sedan: I know it for sure, I just did it! I swapped my avant front and rear seats with Recaro interior of a sedan.

I don't know if you have already given it a go yet but if not... No Fix rear seats are not interchangeable with folding ones due to the metal work. I have a 2002 Saloon and also looked into this.

It would require cutting out the metal work behind the rear seat and welding in new mountings etc...

174ze.jpg

However the front seats are interchangeable.

Sorry to disappoint you but you'll be better off finding some leather seats with a fix rear seat (they do exist but are rare!)

Rob

I don't know if you have already given it a go yet but if not... No Fix rear seats are not interchangeable with folding ones due to the metal work. I have a 2002 Saloon and also looked into this.

It would require cutting out the metal work behind the rear seat and welding in new mountings etc...

174ze.jpg

However the front seats are interchangeable.

Sorry to disappoint you but you'll be better off finding some leather seats with a fix rear seat (they do exist but are rare!)

Rob