Replacing DRL bulbs, help!

sting3rr

Reaction score
Anyone who has succesfully replaced ps19w halogen DRL bulbs, how!? I've been trying for over an hour, and i've got one bulb out and one LED one plugged into the connector, but i cant get it to lock into the bulb housing. I can get it through the hole, and sort of turn it into position, but if i pull it at the right angle it just comes back out, so its not secured. It wont turn left or right any further, so i have no idea how to get it to lock. Also, the original bulb on the other side wont budge at all, the passenger side just turned easily and came straight out, but the driver side i cant turn it either way and it wont move.

The one thats almost fitted is working ok, no bulb errors, although i was hoping it would be a bit brighter to be honest.

Are these the bulbs from Andi?

I asked Andi exactly the same question when I bought mine, as the manual says to twist the DRL bulbs into position.

Apparently you're not supposed to twist them to lock them, and just (as you've done) push them through the hole into the back of the DRL light. They didn't seem particularly secure when doing this, compared to the original halogen bulbs.

I ended up taking them out, as they weren't bright enough for my liking.

They are the same bulbs, bought them from ebay. I wonder why they dont lock like the OEM ones then. Im not sure they are secure enough because i feel they could become dislodged from cornering etc. I thought being LED they would be a lot brighter than OEM, but if they arent very bright during the day then its kind of pointless as that is when they are needed.

I don't know why they don't lock into place - the holder looks pretty similar, but must be different enough to stop it twisting into place.

Been trying to do this again today for hours. Whatever i try, the drivers side DRL bulb will not move from the housing at all. I can get my hand on it and turn it as hard as possible and its just stuck fast. Can anyone help or know anyone that can? I tried pulling back the wheel arch liner, but that didnt give me any better access than going in through the bonnet really. I need to make a decision whether to send these bulbs back or not while i have the chance, so i really need some advice from anyone thats done this before!

I thought the drivers side one on mine was harder to remove than the passenger one, but it did get easier the more times I twisted and untwisted it - appreciate this doesn't help as you can't get it loosened even once. I was doing it from the top as the access didn't seem much better going through the wheel arch.

The original DRL bulbs are quite tight as the rubber seal round the bulb holder grips against the back of the reflector. The biggest problem is not being able to see what you're doing.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else.

Well i managed to get it out today. Following your advice i had a think and decided that a bit of agitation to break the seal might work, so i got hold of the holder and yanked it about a bit, then turned it and it came out. Both LED now fitted, looks very good. I am a little concerned about the fact that the new bulbs dont click into place properly, did you have any issue with them coming out of position while you had them fitted?

You do need to click the bulbs back in place or they will come loose, I bought the led bulbs off a guy on here and although they looked correct they were actually to small they did not sit in the holder as far down as the original 1s so I cudnt twist them on to hold them. I got round this by cuttin a bit off the inside of where the connectors are ten the bulb fitted perfectly in the holder and clicked in to place easily although the drivers side was harder because there is less room to fit your hand to turn the bulb.

That sounds a bit complex, i cant see which part would need cutting. They fit in the bulb holder perfectly, click into that, so i dont see whats different about them?

They stayed in ok without being twisted into place, for the short time I had them in. But this, along with how bright they were was why I took them out and put the original bulbs back in.

Well I though mine were the same but they never clicked in to the holder securely if yours do you should just be able to click them back in like the originals, I think my LEDs are quite bright compared to the originals.

2012-01-21_15-40-33_822.jpg

This is what they look like. They seem to have more of a blue tint than the OEM led running lights.