Replacing Concert with aftermarket unit -n00b!

Naj

Reaction score
I'm a n00b when it comes to ICE. I want to replace my Concert unit with a Pioneer DEH-4000UB. I have a PC9 - 404 wiring harness. I've connected it all up but am getting no power to the unit. Any help woulde be appreciated!

20110924170643.jpg

20110924164026.jpg

Don't hold me to this but I think the red and yellow wires need to be switched around.
Please wait for someone else to confirm this as i'm after forgetting since I done my one!!!!

I had this problem when i swapped mine to a kenwood dnx7220 multimedia unit, i had to get a permanent live put in by a local audio company and that sorted it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 2 ways to do this, you can either tap the red wire into the yellow wire, this will give you the permanent live needed to power up your head unit.

The downside to this is, you have to manually switch off your headunit everytime you leave your car.

The other option is to take a switched live feed from your fusebox to your headunit, this will switch your headunit off everytime your key is removed from the ignition.

If you do a search, there are several discussions regarding this.

Hope this helps.

There are 2 ways to do this, you can either tap the red wire into the yellow wire, this will give you the permanent live needed to power up your head unit.

The downside to this is, you have to manually switch off your headunit everytime you leave your car.

The other option is to take a switched live feed from your fusebox to your headunit, this will switch your headunit off everytime your key is removed from the ignition.

If you do a search, there are several discussions regarding this.

Hope this helps.

Aahh I see it does say on the head unit install guide it maybe necessary to switch the red and yellow :redface: I don't mind having to switch it off manually as I always take the face off when leaving the car. But will the unit retain its settings with this method?

Yes it will if both wires are connected up, the head unit has a permanent live feed going to it to retain any memory settings.

So I've got power going to the unit now. Sounds way better. Not getting any sound from the rear speakers? If I send all the sound to the rear, I jut get faint bassy sound.

Last edited:
Have you connected the red plug? This feeds your rear speakers, the 2 phono plugs goes into the back of your head unit and the blue one if I remember correctly is the earth.

Have you connected the red plug? This feeds your rear speakers, the 2 phono plugs goes into the back of your head unit and the blue one if I remember correctly is the earth.

Yeah, the red connecter is plugged in. The blue and white cable connects to the corresponding coloured cable on the HU labelled 'remote'. This appers to give the rear amp/speakers power to produce the little noise I hear. The phono plugs are connected, though the black is connected to a white port on he HU (?). I've since learnt that the rear amp is only 2x20w and my HU built in amp would be much better. How difficult is it to wire the rear speakers directly to the HU?

The blue cable on the aerial adapter is connected to nothing, is this important?

black is connected to a white port on he HU

You'll need to check your head unit documentation to see if this is correct, the black should be ground.

I've since learnt that the rear amp is only 2x20w and my HU built in amp would be much better. How difficult is it to wire the rear speakers directly to the HU?

That's true, the rear amps are crap, wiring direct to the headunit is relatively easy, the only time consuming part is removing any trim to pass your speaker cables through.

It will sound much better than using the stock amp, while you're at it, why not change the rear speakers at the same time.

It shouldn't take anymore than a couple of hours to do at most.

The blue cable on the aerial adapter is connected to nothing, is this important?

That's normally a feed wire for the antenna adaptor, you'll need to wire this up as well if you intend on using the radio functions.

That's true, the rear amps are crap, wiring direct to the headunit is relatively easy, the only time consuming part is removing any trim to pass your speaker cables through.

It will sound much better than using the stock amp, while you're at it, why not change the rear speakers at the same time.

It shouldn't take anymore than a couple of hours to do at most.

So thats just disconnecting the rear amp from the speakers and running 4 speaker cables from the head unit?

Yes, that's correct.

Just make sure that you get the +/- (positive and negative) connections for the speaker cables the right way round.

Do I have to take bits of the dash off? What path does the existing cabling run from the rear speakers to get inside the dash?

I'm not sure where the original cables run from.

When you install the speaker cables, run the left speaker cable along the passenger side of the car, run the right speaker cables along the drivers side of the car, get the cables under the steering wheel (cable tie the cables in).

Take out the glovebox for the passenger side to make it easier for you.

Thanks, will have a bash at it. Thanks for your help!