Replacing all bushes

vetch

A4 Avant
Reaction score
How many bushes are there on the S3? I will be overhauling the suspension on my S3, I will be replacing the standard stuff (bushes, droplinks, bump stops etc) aswell as using uprated dampers, springs, ARBs and tierods.

Would you recommend using OEM bushes with lowered suspension? With the exception of powerflex, what alternatives to OEM bushes are out there?

I realise this may have been been covered before, but I would appreciate all opinions and info you can throw my way.

auditt4wddiag1.jpg

id avoid using powerflex bushes on componets where bushes that twist such as front lower arm front bush as they tend to tear as the compoud is to tuff and has less flex then the standard rubber ones (pic number 2 from above), but for where the bush is more of a bearing or support then there an upgrade and worth replacing. such as number 1 and 5, but if you get adjustable tie rod for the rear you'd only need two number 5's not four

so for bush number 2 id get from audi, then buy new front bottom ball joints to bolt to the arm, as for arb bushes id buy new larger anti roll bar if your doing the whole susspension then they come with new bushes to, i have h+r roll bars and there great.
bush number 4 should be ok but might be worth going for audi item up to you on that one,
most people on here go for h+r springs and bilstien shocks but i have just ordered some ap coilovers for mine and there a cheaper option but ride comfort is compramised with coilovers, however they come with new bumpstops
as for drop links id buy standard new ones there will be little gain from up grading them imo more gain from changing the whole bar

Just what I needed thanks mate.

Incidentally, I wont be going for coilovers, my car will never get on a track, its built for the road and thats where its going to stay. I shall be getting either the Weitec matched springs and dampers (GT) or the equivalent KW kit. Both are very similar I hear. I want comfort just as much as I want handling. The bilstein B8s do seem excellent, but I cant justify the price (plus springs) when I only use my car to get me to work and for the odd blast down some back roads.