Replacing a brake light bulb

Grant

Reaction score
My drivers side brake light has gone.

I tried removing the back of the light cluster, but I get get the bulb carrier out.

Any ideas?

You will see that the bulb carrier is light grey against the red cluster. There will be some clips that you need to squeeze and pull towards the front of the car. Not too difficult just a bit awkward to get your hands in

It's pretty tight - I think it's easiest to unplug the connector (it pulls downwards out of the back of the cluster), then (IIRC) there is a plastic clip on each side of the cluster.

You should be able to ease the "bulb board" backwards out of the reflective housing, bit it is tight, and I think that one bulb always used to rub a little when I used to take mine out.

I feel a right donkey for posting what should be a really easy thing to do, but I just cannot get the bulb carrier/board back enough to get the bulb changed.

I'll try unplugging the connector first, see if that makes any difference.

It was a bit of a pain on my S3 but you can do it you just need to manipulate it around and keep trying until you find the way to get the ****** thing out. You can also pull out the fabric lining to give you a bit more room it just pushes back in.

simple to do once you've done it before/know how. no need to feel like a donkey for asking, it's just a bit fiddly...just be patient so you don't brake any clips when removing it!

I know I used to remove the whole board, not try to fit the bulb with the board still semi-clipped in, etc.
And definitely unplug the connector first - they are pretty stiff but wiggle it left/right and it will come off.

Leave the board clipped in while you remove the connector.