1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacing a brake light bulb

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Grant, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

My drivers side brake light has gone.

I tried removing the back of the light cluster, but I get get the bulb carrier out.

Any ideas?

2. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

You will see that the bulb carrier is light grey against the red cluster. There will be some clips that you need to squeeze and pull towards the front of the car. Not too difficult just a bit awkward to get your hands in

3. benk

benk Member

It's pretty tight - I think it's easiest to unplug the connector (it pulls downwards out of the back of the cluster), then (IIRC) there is a plastic clip on each side of the cluster.

You should be able to ease the "bulb board" backwards out of the reflective housing, bit it is tight, and I think that one bulb always used to rub a little when I used to take mine out.

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

I feel a right donkey for posting what should be a really easy thing to do, but I just cannot get the bulb carrier/board back enough to get the bulb changed.

I'll try unplugging the connector first, see if that makes any difference.

5. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

It was a bit of a pain on my S3 but you can do it you just need to manipulate it around and keep trying until you find the way to get the bloody thing out. You can also pull out the fabric lining to give you a bit more room it just pushes back in.

6. recomdos

recomdos Member

simple to do once you've done it before/know how. no need to feel like a donkey for asking, it's just a bit fiddly...just be patient so you don't brake any clips when removing it!

7. benk

benk Member

I know I used to remove the whole board, not try to fit the bulb with the board still semi-clipped in, etc.
    And definitely unplug the connector first - they are pretty stiff but wiggle it left/right and it will come off.

Leave the board clipped in while you remove the connector.