replacement turbo cost?

froggy

Reaction score
Couldn't find this in searches,I'm considering a remap,but if things go tits up and the turbo pops,i know my warranty would be invalid.Anyone had to pay Audi to supply and fit a new S3 turbo?

Last edited:
I remember reading on a VW forum that if your turbo pops and you have it replaced at the main dealers it's quite expensive, I think it was around 4k, can't quite remember. This is because the will strip your engine to make sure no bits of shrapnel have went into the engine and will cause damage at a later date.
However you could just use it as an opportunity to upgrade the turbo with a better one somewhere else and take the risk that the rest of the engine will be ok.

Thanks for the reply,taken on board,do you think the manual clutch could handle the upgrade?..cheers Froggy

Why not get a remap that comes with a mechanical failure warranty?

If you mean like Abt etc did....

You have to be really careful with the small print,and make sure that what you want to cover is actually covered,and for how long,and then balance that against the very expensive cost of a remap or tuning box which includes a warranty.

Reactions: A3_Rider
There are more out there than just them, it is only a suggestion, if you are thinking about the risk and cost of a mechanical failure then maybe you shouldn't remap as there is always a risk, however small. But, unless you drive flat out everywhere, the risk is small.

I remember reading on a VW forum that if your turbo pops and you have it replaced at the main dealers it's quite expensive, I think it was around 4k, can't quite remember. This is because the will strip your engine to make sure no bits of shrapnel have went into the engine and will cause damage at a later date.
However you could just use it as an opportunity to upgrade the turbo with a better one somewhere else and take the risk that the rest of the engine will be ok.

Don't think there is an aftermarket one available now or will be in months. Not to mention stock turbo is too laggy to replace with a bigger one. In addition, turbo upgrade will introduce an entire set/kits of mods, I mean cost is already a concern.

I had problems early on before upgrading power with slippage on really cold foggy mornings. Was almost like the plate was wet with condensation or something as it went when the weather warmed up in the afternoon.
Since the cantronic i've strangley had no problems with the clutch but I do think the manual clutch must be near its limit with the lift some of these upgrades give you.

No aftermarket turbos are available but I think the price for a replacement is ~£1000. Fitting doesnt look to be too difficult either but removing the front pipe is said to be a B4stard of a job ~4hrs alone so it might be difficult :)

Echo Alex's comments, people see the word "warranty" and think yeah its fine. Small print people, devil in the detail etc...

I would imagine (havent read it myself) its a very limited warranty so even if you get an exhaust that could invalidate it, silly things like that otherwise they would have an EXPENSIVE bill.

Finally, story here to make you fully aware.

Also..respect to those that still go through despite knowing the risks, bet your S3s suck..all the air in and dominate the road!! :whip:

Reactions: S3Alex
I think the TTE Turbo is a modified stock unit. Clipped blades, machined flow pathways etc.

You'd need to get Simon@TTE to answer that one.

I'd be surprised if there isn't a little bit more to TTEs offering than the other.

I would guess also that there is a lot more in the TTE one but that TTH one is a bargain, If I have turbo issues I will definitely look at that. Cheapest I've seen stock replacement is roughly $2k AUD and this is approx $1500 for an upgraded one that's a fantastic deal.

Bargains aren't always a great idea long term.
With turbos a lot depends on quality especially if the ECU is mapped.

Spot on Alex, plus would need to be tuned to match! If I ever get turbo issues I will just get latest updated model and install that. Then it will match the APR tune and move on.

It is an issue that Turbo can fail but in reality it's prob 99 % going to be fine. I'd be feel happier if I had the latest revision of turbo but that's life. 12 months no issues so far, fingers crossed it stays that way.