1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Siren shock!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ricco, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Sep 22, 2006]
    Hi all.
    Just picking myself off the floor after Audi quoted me £250 for a replacment siren! I askes the chap if this was for a new system, he replied "no, just to replace the faulty siren".
    You can get a Brand new Clifford Alarm for the price of the siren.
    Any thoughts?:jester:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 22, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 22, 2006]
    Even if it was £80 it's an absolute waste of money. I presume as you're replacing it it's because it's faulty and keeps going off at 3am, well then you know how ineffectual it is, sounds more like a clock radio than an alarm. Go aftermarket and get something decent thats CAT rated and at least you can hear.
  4. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Sep 22, 2006]
    I think the oversized casio watch is cat rated. Its not got to the stage were the local folk wanna kick my ass, prob cos they cant here it.
    Anyway its time for some real security for the S. Wot a joke.
  5. AndyMac

[Sep 22, 2006]
    Yeah the immobiliser isn't though.
  6. A3steve

A3steve Member

[Sep 23, 2006]
    I was thinking of just replacing the siren, Toad do a 125db universal siren for around £20 - just 2 connections.

I fitted a remote central locking interface the other day and whilst testing, I triggered the siren. Bit on the quiet side to say the least!
  7. AndyMac

[Sep 23, 2006]
    Yes, but the siren part of the original unit isn't actually faulty, so how will you interface a new siren to tell the alarm controller that the battery backup isn't failing?
    You'd have to get the wiring diagram and connect the battery backup up lead to a permanent live, but I doubt somehow that it's that straightforward.
  8. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Sep 23, 2006]
    Too much fussin about. Thats the que ( the three beeps ) to put in a Clifford or something like that, the car is worth belling up tight and get the whole lot, Alarm and immobiliser as a Cat 1 or 2.
  9. SimonP

SimonP Member

[Sep 27, 2006]
    Do you not end up with two remote fobs then? The original Audi key fob + one for the aftermarket system? I know it's a bit picky but I get fed up jangling around great big stacks of keys and it's one of the nice things about the Audi key setup.

Only asking because I'm at the three beeps stage... £80 for a new siren unit from the dealer.
  10. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Sep 27, 2006]
    There is was around losing the Audi key fob, so the new alarm, immobilises the car. all you need then is just a key and the new fob. a good installer should be able so sort this out.
    £80- is this just for the siren then ?
  11. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Sep 27, 2006]
    Replacing the Audi alarm/immobiliser isn't as easy as you may expect. The Audi system is well wired into the car's internals. I've had four trips to a well respected alarm installer and they still haven't finished.
  12. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Sep 27, 2006]
    I had a few tough cookies in the past, but it is all possible in the end to button up TIGHT!
  13. jedwa115

jedwa115 Member

[Sep 28, 2006]
    Any idea what fault codes will show if it's the siren at fault?

Mine is going off randomly loads, not just 3am... haven't heard three beebs.. and is showing "alarm triggered by bonnet", "alarm triggered by drivers door" and something like "no signal to siren" or similar...

Ideas?
  14. SimonP

SimonP Member

[Sep 28, 2006]
    Yep, around that figure, give or take.

I'd just remove the duff unit (after all it's a joke) but I suspect it will invalidate the insurance...

I'm not too upset, it's the only thing to have gone wrong so far - though it did wait until one month after the warranty ran out!
  15. confusionhunter

confusionhunter Member

[Oct 14, 2006]
    hmm..... it would be really good to firgure outa way of fitting an aftermarket siren.... mY A3 one doesnt do anything..... the car sits and flashes its indicators....... Mind you I might not be able to hear the siren over the indicator relay.....:blink:
  16. Ricco

Ricco SweetS3

[Oct 15, 2006]
    Just for get the Casio and go for some thing that will do a better job and let you know LOUD and clear if there is a problem.They even do paget systems and ones that can even call your cell phone and tell you exectly what has been activated " Bonnet has been triggered". Supa-de leux security:busted_cop: for the metal one you love!