Replacement of turbo in 2.0 TDI

mjepson

Reaction score
Well I have now had 2 workshops look at the sound coming from my turbo, and they both say that it is definately coming from the turbo and not loose hoses etc. IT NEEDS REPLACEMENT :(

So the second workshop gave me a better price than the audi shop, but it is still around £800-1000...

I checked out ebay.de and there are are a few 2.0 tdi turbo's for sale, but I am unsure as to what part number or model I should be looking for...

Anybody who can help me out with part number or know any other internet dealers or cheap places to get new or used 2.0 tdi turbos?

Be VERY careful buying a 2.0TDi turbo from eBay. I had to have he turbo replaced on my 2007 A3 at 2000 miles due to a dry bearing which created a high pitched whining noise. Makes you wonder why these ones have been replaced!

Have you tried Audi Customer care for a possible goodwill claim?

Nelson_Wilbury said:
I had to have he turbo replaced on my 2007 A3 at 2000 miles due to a dry bearing which created a high pitched whining noise.

Gulp...I've noticed my turbo making a high pitched whining lately, kind of like a very quiet supercharger ?
Thankfully, it's still under warranty and I won't have it in 4 months anyway.

Edit, I've noticed more turbo lag than normal and a lot of white smoke behind me too lately, especially when accelerating from low levs.

It's got to be connected ?

bowfer said:
Gulp...I've noticed my turbo making a high pitched whining lately, kind of like a very quiet supercharger ?
Thankfully, it's still under warranty and I won't have it in 4 months anyway.

Edit, I've noticed more turbo lag than normal and a lot of white smoke behind me too lately, especially when accelerating from low levs.

It's got to be connected ?

Crikey certainly sounds like Turbo failure with lag and white smoke, cost Audi some cash get itb replaced under warranty before it goes back, that will make you smile after your issues with the brand :)

Spin140 said:
Crikey certainly sounds like Turbo failure with lag and white smoke, cost Audi some cash get itb replaced under warranty before it goes back, that will make you smile after your issues with the brand :)

Does, doesn't it....
TBH, I'd rather just wait until it goes pop ( no long journeys planned )
If it goes pop and has to go into the garage for a while, I'll have a good excuse to hasten the ordering of it's replacement!

bowfer said:
Does, doesn't it....
TBH, I'd rather just wait until it goes pop ( no long journeys planned )
If it goes pop and has to go into the garage for a while, I'll have a good excuse to hasten the ordering of it's replacement!

Have you decided what to go for yet or still pondering ?

Spin140 said:
Have you decided what to go for yet or still pondering ?

Going for broke on the BMW D3.
Provided I can get one, as supply seems to be a problem.
If I can't get one of those, I may settle for a 320D M-sport (same price,ish)
A recent promotion has meant I can aim higher than the £23K 159 I thought I was going for.

I live in Norway and the 2 year german warranty that came with the car + the 1 year extra warranty from norwegian dealer expired last december...

Also they have seen that the flash count is 12 and last flashing was a month ago so they know the car is remapped... so wanting to get a new turbo on goodwill from a dealer i didn't even buy the car from is going to be hard.

bowfer said:
A recent promotion has meant I can aim higher than the £23K 159 I thought I was going for.

Hi If you think that changing brand from Audi to BMW will make your live stressless I think you wrong. I`ve just sold my 02 reg BMW 330d and got an A3 2.0 tdi. As a former member of BMW forum I can confirm there has been plenty turbo failures in the 320 D + (what was the main reason why I sold mine), more than few cases of cracking plastic inlet manifold which finished with metal flaps in the manifold being swallowed by the engine what caused a total engine failure and replacing bill of £7000-8000. The best part of it is that it was happening without any warning, engine running smooth and than bum!. The lowest mileage at which it happend was as far as I remember about 38 000 miles. On the BMW land forum nearly every week somebady has been reporting turbo failure. Cost cuting mate that what it is mate. No matter what car you got.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=53451

Anybody know the part number for a new turbo?

and sorry for this, but try and keep new car discussions in another thread...

mjepson said:
I live in Norway and the 2 year german warranty that came with the car + the 1 year extra warranty from norwegian dealer expired last december...

Also they have seen that the flash count is 12 and last flashing was a month ago so they know the car is remapped... so wanting to get a new turbo on goodwill from a dealer i didn't even buy the car from is going to be hard.

Is your car still under the Bluefin warranty ?

Also bluefin know have capability to reset flash counter to zero so get in touch, ask for an update then try an alternate dealer assuming they have not entered anything on the database but I would have thought unlikely.

Good luck

Maybe go for a performance Turbo. Of course I don't know of your financial status right now but could be worth to get a bigger/better one in terms of looking at long term.

That's what i'm going to do when I make my TDI the fastest TDI in the UK =D (i know i know i've said that for a while lol). I'm going to get a Hybrid Turbo which supposedly is what I should be getting but we'll see.

I'm sure theres many performance Turbos priced occardinly to your budget yet still pack more of a punch than the Audi OEM 2.0T(DI)

bowfer said:

Great choice, I re-read a review the other day in Performance Tuner comparing the D3 with various tuned diesels and a petrol Golf GTi, it never finshed first but gave great shots of the car internal and external.

To my mind the car makes a perfect Co car as it has all the goodies from the off, gorgeous alloys, twin pipes and plenty of poke.

As yours will be new and subject to a 3yr warranty I know you won't let the negative comments put you off. If I were after a sporty 4 door D it would have to be the D3, on the road they look fab.

Spin140 said:
As yours will be new and subject to a 3yr warranty I know you won't let the negative comments put you off. If I were after a sporty 4 door D it would have to be the D3, on the road they look fab.

The way I look at it, any alleged lack of reliability in the D3 will be made up for in driving enjoyment.
The same thing could never be said of my A3 I'm afraid.
Even when it's behaving itself (not often),it's hardly a fun drive.

The part No for the Turbo/manifold is 036 253 014H.
It should be a Garrett turbo charger.
When I replaced mine in march, Audi uk wanted £1400.
A mechanic friend obtained a new item for £700 (much better).
Hope this helps.

FWIW, I read a lot of consumer columns in car mags, and this is the sort of thing that can often result in the manufacturer paying at least some of the bill.
It all boils down to how old the car is / mileage / how pushy you are.
Your rights don't stop the minute the warranty runs out.
I managed to get Rover to partly cover an out of warranty gearbox years ago, because it hadn't lasted a 'reasonable time'.
It went at 3.5 years old, around 40k miles.
That comes under the 'reasonable time' section of the consumer rights bill.
Clearly, that isn't a reasonable time for a gearbox to spill it's guts.
Perhaps the same argument could be used here ???
Ignoring the fact the car is tuned, which Audi don't need to know, I'm assuming it has been serviced at the right intervals using the right parts ?
Needn't be main dealer.
Hell, it's got to be worth a few 'irate' phonecalls and/or letters to Audi CS ??

When my turbo failed, my car had 3 months warranty remaining, but was over mileage by 5k. Audi's godwill, was to discount the turbo to around £500.
I would have to pay all labour. (expensive). I had my mechanic mate sought it for a few beer tokens, job done.

:eek: Didn't know the 2.0TDI's use Garrett Turbo's. Nice!

my car is just over 2 yrs old so is under warranty but I had some Turbo issues recently. The Turbo would cut out under heavy moderate to acceleration, hence no power from about 2.5k revs. It would then go back to normal and settle and when audi looked at it and did their diagnostic stuff they said it was normal.

On the 3rd visit to the dealership when I was really hacked off they sent an audi technician out with me on a test drive in my car to see if the problem would occur with them in the car. They said they asked him to drive the car because he also had a 2.0 TDI. The fault didnt occur on the drive with the audi guy but he said the turbo sounded a bit off so they replaced the whole turbo under warranty. i think he said it was about £1000 worth of kit plus labour , none of which I was charged for thank god!

Hope you get it sorted out mate.

cooky

i may be able to help you with getting a cheaper turbo as my friend works for a turbo company.

i will check to see how much he can get it for if you like.:icon_thumright:

ScottTDI said:
The part No for the Turbo/manifold is 036 253 014H.
It should be a Garrett turbo charger.
When I replaced mine in march, Audi uk wanted £1400.
A mechanic friend obtained a new item for £700 (much better).
Hope this helps.

Thanks this helps a lot!

I was quoted £700 for a replacement turbo at the local shop so I guess I won't get it any cheaper unless i go for a used ebay.de one...

I'll send em a mail ...

What does the superchip warranty cover?

i can get you a standard turbo for £435 plus vat
if you wanted a hybrid i can get one of these for £630 plus vat

if you are interested let me know

and by the way i am new to the club and as an audi owner so a quick hello:)

This one is 275 Euro if i can get them to ship to Norway... Brand new.

Is this the correct one for my 2004 2.0 TDI? Do i have Pumpe Düse?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Orginal-Garrett-Turbo-Turbolader-VW-AUDI-2-0-TDI-NEU_W0QQitemZ150176557963QQihZ005QQcategoryZ61310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These send to norway for 19Euro... but 9 days until finished. Used (could be risky)... and part number is correct except for 038... [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]038253014H[/FONT]

http://cgi.ebay.de/TURBOLADER-TOP-VW-Golf5-Touran-Passat-Caddy-Jetta_W0QQitemZ120178684138QQihZ002QQcategoryZ61305QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem