1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

replacement clutch and flywheel

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by olly_s3, Dec 3, 2012.

1. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 3, 2012]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

[Dec 4, 2012]
  4. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    The seller is called tecniclutch (company) i think excellent feedback and comes with 40,000 mile guarantee or 4 years i think? Its only £399 atm. I did look at awsome gti clutch kits but they are another £225 on top of this one so just wanted to see what people said really
  5. kwistof

[Dec 4, 2012]
    I was looking at that exact product just the other night and weighing up my options...

It's there own make isn't it? I personally wouldn't go there and have opted for the Awesome GTI one

Just have a quick search of the reviews people from here have given about tecniclutch on ASN using the search car at the top....people have even said the branded items are not worth buying as they are 'possibly' cheap fake copies (allegedly).
  6. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    After reading the negative feedback i think im gonna give it a miss just unsure of which one to go for really as awaome gti aint exactly close to where i live!
  7. Shinkansen

Shinkansen New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    I would just like to say in Techniclutch's defence, I ordered a complete Sachs DMF kit from Techniclutch. It was completely genuine on arrival and by far and away the most affordable kit out there.

The only problem was they appeared to forget to post it to me. A phone call 6 days after winning the bid, an apology and it was next-day couriered to my home. No problems 4 months after fitting.

Recommended, to be fair. They have been around a long a time and Googling will bring up some horrendous forum posts and issues with the business circa 2009. They appear to be turning it around!
  8. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Its good to hear some positive feedback about them. To be fair not too worried about branded goods they are selling just worried about the quality of there own kits etc
    on another note anyone recommend a decently priced quality solid flywheel?
  9. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    I`d stay away. Far far far more shocking reviews than good. Them selling genuine branded items might not be an issue but their own stuff like whats in the link should be avoided at all costs.
  10. kwistof

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Well what do you call decently priced?

You must have some sort of budget in mind I take it for a full kit?
  11. shady-ninja

shady-ninja Active Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    has anyone here bought them?
  12. Shinkansen

Shinkansen New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    My BAM '02 S3 has been remapped to 265BHP and a complete Sachs kit for £399 inc throwout bearing is incredible value. It's more than able to handle the power it throws at it. I sought advice and spending anymore than £500 for the requirements and demands on the car in its current state was pointless.

I have yet to hear any horror stories about Techniclutch very recently.

To be fair, why the hell would you even consider buying "generic" or unbranded parts for such a critical part of your car?! That's just asking for trouble. I wouldn't touch ANYONE'S unbranded clutch kits!!!!!

SHiNK
  13. Shinkansen

Shinkansen New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
  14. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    Yer i do want to buy genuine for it just didnt want to pay horendus amount, £400 for kit is fairly good i think just want to make sure it will last as my car stage 2 275bhp 300lbf does anyone know if the clutch in link above will last? Isnt really much more shinkansens 265bhp so reckon it prob will?
  15. Jason.s

Jason.s Active Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
  16. kwistof

[Dec 5, 2012]
    I too have also sought out advice and a SMF conversion was what route I decided to go down. I have spoken to several people who have been running the Awesome SMF conversion kit - all of them were very happy with the quality, the feel of the clutch and also the service they were given. Awesome also offer fitting on the kit- and I'm sure they wouldn't want to sell a part that is doomed to fail. I also want to go to stage 2 and possibly more- the last thing I'd want to happen is the dual mass flywheel to fail again and be stumped with a huge bill.

There are certain things that I would only ever buy genuine- e.g sensors.

However there are several parts I would buy that could be considered as unbranded items but have been tested thoroughly before being able to purchase that are actually better than the more well known brands. E.g B5 TIP
    Shinkansen likes this.
  17. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    I would buy a awsome gti one if they were close enough to fit it as its a good deal kit and fitting. But as im not think i will get another dmf as people like tuffty are still running one and for clutch kit either sachs or luk one will prob be good enough as again in tufftys thread he is using all standard parts except from paddle friction plate but as he has over 400bhp it is understandable? What do people reckon good idea or not?
  18. Shinkansen

Shinkansen New Member

[Dec 10, 2012]
    Fair do's! The Sachs kit I linked is only good for upto Stage 1. If you want to future proof for your Stage 2+ then yeah, you'll be stumping up a little extra.

Olly_S3... If your S3 is standard or Stage 1 I'd be tempted to go for the Sachs/LUK combo. Otherwise, you're spending well over the needs of your vehicle. In these tough times, every little helps!
  19. olly_s3

olly_s3 New Member

[Dec 11, 2012]
    Well spoke to darkside and there standard clutch kit (sachs) is rated to 300ftlb so if the original has lasted for 90k and which 20k it has been stage 2 its tempting to go for standard again! But anyways think it will wait till next year as cant really afford it atm with xmas and etc lol
  20. dancuz

dancuz Member

[Feb 5, 2013]
    What did everyone go for in the end? I'm tempted by the Darkside kit above, as 300lbft is a lot for a KO4 even at stage 2?
  21. Benjiman46

Benjiman46 R-Tech Terrorist

[Feb 6, 2013]
    Mate, I've got a Sachs one for sale... Clutch, Single mass flywheel conversion and CSC... PM me :)
  22. Benjiman46

Benjiman46 R-Tech Terrorist

[Feb 6, 2013]
    How old is this thread?!?!?! lol
    WorkInProgress likes this.
  23. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    If you want a standard clutch go LUK clutch kit + DMF. I paid about £400 a year ago from Euro car parts, you can get the same deal assuming your chassis uses the cheaper flywheel. They have 20% off at the moment which brings down to £400 - Oh and no issues 13k later
  24. jezzy

jezzy Member

[Feb 6, 2013]
    i paid £175 deleivered for the F1 flywheel mentioned above.
    It weighs 3.9 kilos and looks good bit of kit
  25. dancuz

dancuz Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  26. jezzy

jezzy Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    i bought the above flywheel.
    Carbon kevlar clutch from cg motor sports without pressure plate for 125.
    But cg messed me about big time, took 3 weeks and constant phone calls to get it.
    I wouldnt go back to them if i had to do it again.
  27. dancuz

dancuz Member

[Feb 28, 2013]
    Yeh I looked at CG so thanks for info. As I'm only ever going stage 2 ish on power I think I will go for the kit posted above, as to be honest a standard clutch will probably handle it, but this is not much more dollar. Unless someone pursuades me otherwise