1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Chrome Mirror Casings

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Platinum70, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    Thinking of getting these but having just phoned Audi for OEM ones they have said I need to buy the casing and the motor at £278 each + vat and new glass at £180 each + vat. So a cool £1076.30. I think not

VAG parts do them for £260 + VAT or JBR (richa3turbo) for around £60.

Does anyone know what the diferences are between the 3 casings and is this a simple swap over?

Thanks in advance of any help.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. imported_bubstar

imported_bubstar Guest

[Oct 12, 2005]

That's total rubbish!! I've got OE S4 ones on mine and it's only the cases you change - about 10 mins a side.

They were about £260 all in last year.

PM me and I'll give you the part numbers

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  4. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

[Oct 12, 2005]
    Bub

I seem to remember you telling me this before. PM sent.
  5. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

[Oct 16, 2005]
    Tried fitting the passenger sid eone yesterday and it will not go on. Cannot understand why.
  6. imported_bubstar

imported_bubstar Guest

[Oct 17, 2005]

Did you take the glass out ok? You need to remove the black plastic cover at the bottom (held by two screws) first.

Then there are 3 screws (IIRC) inside holding the cover to the alloy frame of the mirror unit. I think you have to lift the case up or to the side to release it..........
    It really is a 15-20 min job.

Hope that helps.

7. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

[Oct 26, 2005]
    Did the mirrors. No screws holding the covers on at all. They clipped in place. There are raised studs for using screws in case you break one the clips refitting the new covers (as I did!) Used one screw per cover. The glass came out easy but the cover were a b'stard to fit.

The misses doesn't like them. Says it narrows the car. I like them but not 100% convinced yet. At least they are easily changed back.
  8. imported_bubstar

imported_bubstar Guest

[Oct 26, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The misses doesn't like them. Says it narrows the car

[/ QUOTE ]

Narrows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not sure what she means by that.......... Do you have alloy trim strips? The alloy mirrors really do look great with them.

I put mine on the same day I picked the car up so for me the painted ones would look odd!!

If they're good enough for a S4 - they're good enough for my S-Line /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

[Oct 27, 2005]
    What she means is tha coloured ones matching the car extend the width to the eye. The chrome ones stand out on their own and the car separately. I don't agree and they are growing on me. Yes I also have the ali strips around the door windows and agree they go well with them.

The only thing I do think is the mirrors look better on slightly darker cars.
  10. imported_bubstar

imported_bubstar Guest

[Oct 27, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I do think is the mirrors look better on slightly darker cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree they do stand out more - But I thought long and hard about the colour of the car and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif my AVUS !!!

Stunning after a wash and fresh coat of Zymol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif

BUB