1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Brake Discs and Pads

tompearson Dec 6, 2009

1. tompearson

tompearson It's all in bits

The brakes on my S3 lack stopping power even though it is only a few thousand miles since I had new pads and discs (OEM) and the brake fluid was replaced just a few weeks ago. I think they have always had limited effect, especially compared to some other cars I have driven - the pedal never really seems to bite and feels quite spongy even after new pads and discs. I haven't found anything on here that sounds like a cause of this, given that pads, discs and fluid are all relatively new, other than the brakes are just a bit pants to start with - but if anyone has any other ideas, please let me know.

Anyway, rather than spend a fortune on a big brake conversion (as much as I'd like to) I was looking at changing the discs and pads. I see the black diamond discs and ferrodo pads come up a lot and was looking for a good price for them when I came across this deal on ebay, am I missing something or is this a good price for some reasonably good kit?

2. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

I am in similar situation with very little money. I got eBay discs and pads and after 2k it started to wobble and feels faded, I will get Zimmerman and ferodo pads but the price of the pads are a bit high! I think around £80 and discs £90ish from GS.

3. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator DSG

I have mintex on the rears so cannot really comment on their braking ability,I have Ferodo ds2500 pads for my Brembo set up and they cost 120 delivered...just waiting for pads to wear out (after twenty odd k)

4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Black Diamond discs or EBC Ultimax if you are thinking of upgrading but I ran DS2500's on std discs with Motul RBF660 brake fluid and they were brilliant. If you discs don't need replacing yet and you are on a budget then just change the pads to DS2500's.

Don't bother with anything else, DS2500's all the way...

<tuffty/>

5. badger5

badger5 www.badger5.co.uk Site Sponsor

consider DS3000's on the heavier S3's if you use your brakes hard

6. tompearson

Cheers for the info.

The only firm prices I have found so far for the DS2500s are in the region of 160 for fronts and 80 for rears which seem somewhat steep. Other than that I only seem to be able to find the DS Performance pads!

Any recommendations on where to buy?

7. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

the man above your last post does them ;)

8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Don't need to buy ferodo's for the rear, Pagid or A N Other decent normal pad is fine... S3 is over braked at the rear, all the effort is required for the front as she is a lardy little car :)

£160 sounds about right atm as the price of these have shot up recently. Bill used to do them cheaper than this but got a shock when the last lot he got in shot up in price with no warning.

<tuffty

9. tompearson

Can I just check that fcp590h is the correct part for a 99 S3. If so Camskills appear to do them for 146 delivered. I'll look for something cheaper for the rears.

I'd be interested to hear your price Bill if you are still doing them as you are based just up the road - although I'm worried I'll end up asking you about that nice ap set up you sorted for tuffty and blow my budget intentions.

Thanks.

10. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

11. jdas03

jdas03 Member

I got ebc turbo discs and yellow stuff pads for the front, fair bit cheaper than ds2500s. I cant compare the two as i havent tried ds2500s, all i can tell you is when discs and pads are stone cold they at least equal the stopping power of oem setup and the wamer they get the better.
    My experience vs standard pads and discs is not only on the road. On the track i met another s3 with standard pads and discs brand new on, mine were the same except ebc turbo and yellow stuff, and the difference was amazing. standard after around 10 minutes suffered bad brake fade and had to go into the pits for cool off, mine kept going! in a whole day i did not experience any brake fade. if anything they got better as i went! this is doing generally 20-30 minutes a time!
    So in conclusion ebc is a good route to go if you cant afford £150 for pads!

12. badger5

i can compare yellows to ds ferodo's - ebc suk

ds2500 consistently good cold and hot as are ds3000
    ebc's yellows will eat disks

fcp590h-ds2500's are £135+vat currently for info

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

what price could you do them for?

14. LiveWire

LiveWire S3X

I think they are selling for that much, you will have to ask badger if that includes postage. :beerchug:

15. S3 HODGE

S3 HODGE Brown passenger seat.

Hmm....If so id be interested as my pads havent got the longest of life left.

16. badger5

is that not clear enough for you?
    as posted

17. badger5

it does'nt no

18. crunchie

crunchie Active Member

DS2500 pads worth every penny. aint managed to crack my brembo x-drilled discs yet either, i must be getting old! then again, an S3 on the edge is a scary place to be! miss my scoob :(