1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement Battery?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by OllieH, Feb 14, 2010.

1. OllieH

OllieH Member

Hi, have done a search but nothing much has turned up. My battery is in need of being changed. Halfords list three batteries for the S3, one with a 3yr, one with a 4yr and one with a 5yr warranty, with the prices using my trade card being £60, £75, £90 ish, respectively. Are there any other batteries available for the S3, which are maybe uprated from the oem one. I have the Andy Mac sub and amp fitted to my car which I believe has a direct feed from the battery, so want something good enough to supply that when the engine is not running without causing it to go flat.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Steer clear of Halfords would be my advice, go to GSF and get a Bosch silver top, about £75 and very decent.

4. OllieH

OllieH Member

Thanks for that Andy :icon_thumright:

5. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Just fitted a new one on the GF's 225BAM TT, got an exide one from Euro for £50 :)

Avoid Halfrauds!!

6. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!
    VCDS Map User

i ended up getting a vauxhall sourced battery, cost me £60 and is top quality....just make sure you get the right size/ampage and you'll be fine.... although easier said than done, i tried two before i found one that fitted :)

7. OllieH

OllieH Member

Got priced up for a Bosch Silver Top from GSF at £63 inc VAT with Armed Forces discount. Gonna try and get a price for a Varta Silver Dynamic 027 aswell. From what I've read, the Varta has a slightly higher spec.

8. OllieH

OllieH Member

Is the 027 number used for all types of batteries, or is it just used with the Varta brand??

9. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

dunno but dont go too overboard....a battery is a battery by all accounts

10. OllieH

OllieH Member

Yeah, just thinking if they're the same price makes sense getting the higher spec one. The Varta has a 5yr warranty aswell compared to the 4yr Bosch one.

11. 1animal1

VCDS Map User

aye good plan ;)

12. Y83OLK

Y83OLK Hulk Smash!

Ollie - The bosch and varta batteries are identical with different stickers.
    I stock both of them.
    Usualy blacktop is the budget, silver mid-high range.

13. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving
    VCDS Map User

I recently changed mine. Halfrauds trade card for a Bosch Silver top, 120 down to 70. 5 yr guarantee as well.

14. OllieH

OllieH Member

Ah ok, cheers Callum. Didn't realise that.

15. irvine

irvine New Member

I'm also on the hunt for a new battery and been told the bosch silver tops are the dogs. Would it be the same one from the S3 fit my 1.8T Quattro?? I presume it would be the same? Anyone got a part number etc for it or guide me to where I could find one??

16. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving
    VCDS Map User

If you go on the Halfrauds website, they have a fitting plugin that shows up the car make and model etc. That's how I did mine. People always say don't go to Halfrauds, and I echo that for fitting and own brand products. But for universal things like bulbs, wipers and batteries, why not (all the same branded products as anywhere else).

Granted I had two trips to my local Halfrauds (after the first battery on their website was an inch too wide), but I made that mistake from their website and there were two, exactly the same batteries, just with different codes.

17. MIKE GTR

MIKE GTR Member

Get a pro forma invoice from eurocar parts, then go to your local car parts shop, i bet they'll beat the price, thats what I did, £45