Replaced MAF - have 'new' car!!

MattS5

Reaction score
Yesterday on the M5 I was worried about overtaking because my '00 TDI 115 PD was so lacking in 'pull'. It was so bad it was dangerous as I'd pull out to overtake and find a following Nissan Micra giving me the evil eye 'cos I was holding it up.
From various threads in this forum (thanks, fellow 'soot heads') I figured it was the MAF sensor.
I've just replaced it - took me an hour 'cos the damned hose clamp broke and I had to b*gg*r off to find a new one (I've got got two short ones joined as a temporary measure).
It's totally transformed, it pulls really strongly in every gear - I knew I'd got it sorted even before I hit the road and my drive is only 12 metres long!!
Before it was completely gutless, so bad I wouldn't let my wife drive it in case it caught her out. Now it could pull Superman's tights off....

Who's a happy boy???
Me!!!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

Next step: Revo!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

True, I've had it just a few of months. I mentioned it to the seller (an independent car trader) and he tipped some injector cleaner into it - that did FA of course!
I might give him a call to see if I can get it covered under his very generous three month warranty but it's a thirty five mile round trip and to be honest, it just ain't worth the hassle - take car, leave car, drive back, collect car etc. etc. It's half a day gone and I don't have that sort of time to waste.
The lack of 'go' had got progressively worse since I bought it. For six weeks or so the car's only been used for local trips so it hasn't been too much of a problem (many of the roads in this part of Somerset have a 50mph max) but yesterday on the motorway it was simply scarey.

Yeah I know what you mean. I had a gearbox go in my old A3 31 days after buying it from an independent. Cause I needed the car for work I had the repairs rushed through at my local Audi Garage. Cost me £2,500.

The place i bought it from didn't want to know, so I got the knackered gearbox back from Audi, and chained (padlocked as well) it to the front door of their showroom.

Needless to say they started listening to me then. Got the cost of Parts back of them but not the Audi labour charge.

For anyone else out there DONT buy a car from Britannia motor company in Bradford...... Total con men !!!!

Be aware when buying MAF's from e-bay, most of them are recon/exchange units and do not last long.

I have had a long conversation with my garage who have told me that they no longer buy the Bosch units from a 3rd party supplier as they only last about 10K miles. The go direct to Audi for the new Bosch units, more expecsive but they last a lot longer.

I was lucky on mine, I got one from a breaker for next to nothing and it has given me back the lost power.

You could also try cleaning the sensor before forking out for a new one.

Jim.

why go to that hassle of searching e-bay or breakers when you can get a brandnew peirburg probe for £40 for GSF ? 99.9 time out of hundred it's just the probe thats gone not the whole unit, which includes the tube it sits in.

I got a new Bosch complete MAF unit (including the air tube) for £40 + VAT + postage. It's a lot easier to fit than just the probe as you don't need any special tools.
Like I said, it was a mate's rates deal so I can't say where from. I'm told that since Audi dropped the price on them there should be plenty available from dealers pretty cheapish.
The one on ebay is described as 'new'.
I would never buy one from a breaker since you've no idea how many miles it has done - could be more than your own car!