Replace, renew DV before remap?

S

SteveSAS

Hi guys, as well as getting my 3" downpipe & exhaust, Badger 5 TIP before my stage 1 remap is it wise to replace or renew my diverter valve as well?
My standard 2002 S3 I presume still has its original one & was told they can become weak after awhile. I don't know much about them to be honest so should I leave it, renew it or replace with a different one??

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve, i'm in a similar position, although without the exhaust. Just bought the car, and will be replacing the DV with a "06A 145 710 N", which is the OE spec. About £50, and good for about 30k miles. Having researched this, the OE valve is good for the job & a stage 1, and fitting a new one in your position won't do any harm. Fairly easy to get at to change, and don't forget new clips (2x clips 23-35mm and one clip 8-12mm) as the OE ones can't be re-used.

Best to do it mate. Good option is the Forge 007p, just ordered one myself in anticipation of a remap. I got the one with the yellow spring as that one is recommended for use with remapped engines, whereas the green one would be the standard option.

According to the Internets, and this very forum, the standard OE DV is a better performing product than the "shiny" ones. Will cope fine with a Stage 1 remap, and need lower vacuum pressure to open than the "shiny" stuff. The £60 odd that i'm saving by going OE will go towards the Tip or remap cost.

Just giving you the option. Seems OE, while not pretty, gets it done.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...buyers-and-owners-servicing-etc.174490/page-2

Bill knows best.... order cancelled. Can always add a dump valve after my map.

Bill knows best.... order cancelled. Can always add a dump valve after my map.

Just ordered mine today from Audi. £35 ish. Am treating it as a service part at that price, and as my car has 96k on it & no sign of it being replaced, can't see how i can go wrong. I see quoted figures of OE's lasting about 40k before they begin to deteriorate, but don't know if thats the case.

Maybe you could get one pre-remap on the same basis. At least you know that is taken care of & its simple to swap old for new. As I said above, get three new clips too as the OE ones aren't re-usable.

Can see Bill getting my re-map business when the car is ready for it :)

Just ordered mine today from Audi. £35 ish. Am treating it as a service part at that price, and as my car has 96k on it & no sign of it being replaced, can't see how i can go wrong. I see quoted figures of OE's lasting about 40k before they begin to deteriorate, but don't know if thats the case.

Maybe you could get one pre-remap on the same basis. At least you know that is taken care of & its simple to swap old for new. As I said above, get three new clips too as the OE ones aren't re-usable.

Can see Bill getting my re-map business when the car is ready for it :)

Wish I lived closer! I'm gonna see what mines like, test it in water etc... Hopefully it's fine.

Hi Steve, i'm in a similar position, although without the exhaust. Just bought the car, and will be replacing the DV with a "06A 145 710 N", which is the OE spec. About £50, and good for about 30k miles. Having researched this, the OE valve is good for the job & a stage 1, and fitting a new one in your position won't do any harm. Fairly easy to get at to change, and don't forget new clips (2x clips 23-35mm and one clip 8-12mm) as the OE ones can't be re-used.
Hi, Audi want £37 (plus vat) for this & the part no is now with a 'P' at the end instead of 'N'. They just said change in number maybe an improved spec.
TPS have in stock for £31 (plus vat) & still have part no with 'N' lol

Had a fancy baileys motorsport dv30 recirc valve on my s3, didn't last long, swapped out for a new standard oem valve, much better and no leaks. £38 delivered off ebay.

Reactions: jaykay8L
Hi, Audi want £37 (plus vat) for this & the part no is now with a 'P' at the end instead of 'N'. They just said change in number maybe an improved spec.
TPS have in stock for £31 (plus vat) & still have part no with 'N' lol

Hi Steve, yep, I went into my second Audi dealers (this time, one with a parts counter, the first one didn't), and ordered my DV. It too is the "N" revision.

Should be with me midweek, so will swap over at the weekend. Btw, the first Audi dealership ordered completely the wrong part, which turned out to be a crankcase breather valve, so refund there then.

Am just waiting on my friend & his garage to come available in a couple of weeks time, and its a cam belt / water pump / haldex & filter & general service including a health-check of the induction hoses. From there, Badger 5 Tip and a stage 1. Wonder if i'll be able to just leave it at that.

Hi Steve, yep, I went into my second Audi dealers (this time, one with a parts counter, the first one didn't), and ordered my DV. It too is the "N" revision.

Should be with me midweek, so will swap over at the weekend. Btw, the first Audi dealership ordered completely the wrong part, which turned out to be a crankcase breather valve, so refund there then.

Am just waiting on my friend & his garage to come available in a couple of weeks time, and its a cam belt / water pump / haldex & filter & general service including a health-check of the induction hoses. From there, Badger 5 Tip and a stage 1. Wonder if i'll be able to just leave it at that.
Hi Jay, spent some money today ordering downpipe & sports cat & jetex cat back. Also Badger 5 Tip. Already have new plugs, air & fuel filter ready to go. Will get oil change before MOT then off to R Tech for stage 1. I will be sticking with Stage 1 as don't want to lose reliability. :audibash:

Reactions: jaykay8L
Wow! Thats gonna be ace! Are you going with cone filter too?

Its gonna be a swift car :)

Hi Jay, I'm sticking with the OEM air box & paper filter. Filter so cheap anyway I will probably renew once a year with the oil change.
My reasons for staying with paper filter are:
1. Best protection for engine
2. Want to keep engine bay looking more standard
3. Not convinced a cone will give much more but noise on my car going only to stage 1

Keep me updated on your car progress, be interesting :icon thumright:

Hi mate, got my DV from TPS for £31 (includes VAT) but regarding clips they just list jubilee ones & said that the original ones should be therefore reusable. Are the original ones not jubilee?

Cheers

I was of the impression that the "crimp up" OE clips couldn't be re-used 'cos you have to cut them off. Not sure if all cars left the factory with that fixing tho', so fingers crossed.

Hopefully you'll have jubilee's already on there, but you may want to check.

Did my DV today. Was an easy job made hard by the Audi crimp-clips being present.

I ended up using a chisel to lift up the "loose" end of the clip, so that I could then get pliers onto the metal and lift/twist it loose.

Thankfully, the hardest one to get at had a jubilee on it, otherwise i'd have been in real trouble. Can't advocate chisel as the ideal as its v sharp and lots of risk of damaging pipework and yourself, but I had no other option. Just use it to prise the end of the clip to allow use of pliers.

My old DV seemed to be ok. Glad I swapped tho', and not expensive so all good :)