Replace cambelt or do cambelt kit?

Paul76R

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,

My A3 turned 5 last month so its time for a cam belt change according to Audi. I can't afford to pay dealer prices, not that i'm all that impressed with them to be honest, so i've booked it in with a local independant garage that i've used before.

They have suggested that because my car is only on 43k it could just have the belt changed (& water pump) without all the pulleys & tensioners, this would be £100 cheaper but is it worth it?

Just out of interest they quoted me £60 to replace rear brake pads (discs all good) compared to Audi's £259 for discs & pads! and £309 for the cambelt kit & water pump (£209 for just the belt & pump) compared to Audi's £429 for the cambelt (no water pump). All parts quoted are genuine Audi parts.

It's common sense to replace everything that comes into contact with the cambelt. Otherwise anything else that goes and you're back to square one !

£309 is a good price so as long as you're sure they know what they are doing then I think you should go for it !!

I must admit that thats the line i'm thinking too, just would have been good to save £100 just before xmas! lol

I'd do the full kit of I were you, the rubber parts are still 5 years old and worn.
Had my S3 done at Awesome Gti a few weeks ago, £330 :)

Full kit everytime. The extra £100 to replace the lot is way cheaper than an engine rebuild should a bearing in a pulley fail/seize.

Full kit everytime. The extra £100 to replace the lot is way cheaper than an engine rebuild should a bearing in a pulley fail/seize.

Full Kit EVERY TIME................
I cut the corners on an Audi 80 some years back and after 3000miles the tensioner seized and I was faced with a big repair bill.
I now have the timing belt kit fitted at half the recommended mileage because Iam almost paranoid about a belt/ tensioner failure.

Full kit & it's worth getting it done at Audi for the warranty cover alone. It won't need to be done for another 5yrs so is it worth taking the risk? What warranty are the indi offering?

Wasn't aware Audi even offered a warranty on things like that? The local garage is good, i've used them before on my old golf and i have several friends who always go there and are very pleased.

I'm not all that impressed with the service at Audi, they told me i needed rear pads & disc's but the local guy says the discs are good for at least another set of pads, maybe two. Going to cost me £60 to replace pads instead of the £259 Audi wanted for discs & Pads. Plus they cocked up the servicing schedule on my car. I would try another Audi dealership, but there is only the one in Cornwall so would need to go to either Plymouth or Exeter.