1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repair / replacing sill trim

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Martynh, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Martynh

Martynh New Member

Hello all

One job on my to do list for the TQS is try to repair / replace the sill covers, you know that kind of black trim which protects the sill from cr@p thrown up from the wheels. It seems to be like a plastic / rubbery type coating applied to the outer sills below the door line

Is this a special type of paint or is it a plastic protection does anyone know??

My car seems to have worn through this coating at the front edge of the sill so looks very strange with the front 6 inches of sill being silver and the rest black!!

Cheers guys!
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I think its called "schutz"
  3. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

I'm tempted to spray mine so it's body coloured. Not sure what it is originally though :(
  4. Martynh

Martynh New Member

Looking again at the sills, could it be a rubbery type of underseal? Not sure how it would be applied if this was the case? Maybe a body shop would know?
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Yeh thats exactly what it is.

Its a thick spray on underseal, you can get brush on stuff to cover the bit wehre its come off, but it wont be a perfect match.
  6. Conorn

Conorn New Member

Hi there.

I work in a body shop by trade and its just a stone chip/ under coating most of them only come in black they are available in a can spray a professional gun type and a brush on. its relatively easy to colour code it.

the hardest part is removing the stone chip you already have. some thinners a scraper and some old rags should do the trick. we have some really nice in the can stone chip at work. ill get the name of it for you ! has a fantastic finnish
  7. Martynh

Martynh New Member

That would be excellent if you can let me know the name of some decent stuff so I can get some ordered up, can't wait to get rid of the two tone sills!!