1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing wiper mechanism

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by quattrojames, Nov 2, 2010.

1. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 2, 2010]
    After many delaying tactics I'm going to attempt this on Friday before the winter.

I'm armed with the following guides:

Audi area: Fixing Slow Wipers

AudiWorld Tech Articles

I'll get some copper grease and emery paper, and maybe a wiper removal tool as I remember what a pita getting my old wipers off was.

Anyone who has done it got any helpful tips?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

[Nov 2, 2010]
    the trickiest part is actually getting the mechanism out once the bolts are undone. The easiest way is to pop the arms off the motor ball joint before removal as per pic 11 in the audiworld tech link you have and be careful you dont brake the scuttle panel when taking it off. a little patience and it should be ok
  4. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 2, 2010]
    buy a new scuttle panel there less than £15

mine was a twat to get of so force was needed
  5. acano

acano Member

[Nov 2, 2010]
    Not sure if its covered in any guide but move your ECU out the way first gives you plenty more room!
  6. dope

dope alcoholic pervert

[Nov 3, 2010]
    As mentioned - move the ECU out the way.

I thought the hardest part was getting the wipers off. Though I did manage it without the special tool in retrospect I wish I'd had one.

I found it was critical to get the arms back onto the right splines otherwise you get some funny results - like one wiper trying to wipe the engine bay while the other flails around beside the a-pillar.

Other than that I hope it doesn't rain while you're doing it!
  7. BASS 666

BASS 666 BMW aye right dead on..

[Nov 4, 2010]
    james i have done 3 of these mate. take the nuts off your wipers and close the bonnet. lift the wiper off the screen . with the wiper right up grab it and push it from 12 oclock to 6 oclock fairley hard a few times the wiper will come off real easy. put the wipers down open the bonnet and lift them off. take the black strip off each side of your front screen they just pop off. take the 3 clips off that hold your scuttle on, you can see them once you remove the panel that hides the battery. the strip you took off the front screen allows you to put a screwdriver under the edge of the scuttle. push the scuttle upwards and once it lifts a bit then pull the rest out gentley. take the top off the ecu and undo the big clip that holds the ecu. lift it out and put it to 1 side ,you have to disconnect the red wire (10mm nut) watch its live and all the plugs. once you have taken everything out and moved it all to 1 side take the rest of the ecu casing out. undo the 3 bolts that hold the wiper mechanism and disconnect the plug and work the mechanism out. sort it out and put it all back in reverse order. WARNING when you put the scuttle back in clean the gully it clips into with a small screwdriver and a cloth, spray the gully with window cleaner, it acts as a lube. press the scuttle back in starting at 1 end and work your way along untill its all in. do not hit it in press it in cause its really easy to crack your screen i have seen it done. just use plenty of window cleaner as lube and it should clip in easy then you can wipe it off easy unlike wd 40 or oil. hope this helps you out mate..
  8. quattrojames

[Nov 4, 2010]
    Cheers guys, I'm doing it tomorrow so I'll let you know ;)
  9. quattrojames

[Nov 5, 2010]
    Job done, wasn't too bad. I've take loads of pics so I might even do a guide later and see if I can get it stickied.

The plastic scuttle broke as expected. I didn't order one but TPS will have it on Monday so not too bad. None of the little clips which hold it in were there, so it was just held in by 7 years of grunge. Did a good job of it though!

As I was extricating the mechanism one of the little collars inside the mounting bracket jumped out for freedom and in one well aimed bounce went straight under the battery :banghead: So that slowed things up.

The passenger side was fine, but the drivers side was so stiff I couldn't even turn it by hand, but at least I didn't need heat as I know some people have. Greased it all up and it went back in fine.

Couple of twitchy moments, one when the ESP light didn't go out, a 1/4 mile drive up the road sorted that. And secondly when the remote locking didn't work :ohmy: Recalibrated the keys and job done.

Just the new scuttle to fit next week. Wipers are like greased lightning now :o.k:
  10. BASS 666

BASS 666 BMW aye right dead on..

[Nov 5, 2010]
    ha ha i must be good i havent broke a scuttle yet. good job mate well done..
  11. quattrojames

[Nov 5, 2010]
    As ever half the battle with these things is knowing how they mount to know exactly how to get them out. Mine was pretty brittle, I don't think it would have come out without breaking as there was so much crud in the little channel.