1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing valve cover issue

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by SiGainey, Apr 24, 2011.

1. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Ok, so got most bits off and the valve cover is free but it stuck near the cam pulley and won't come off. What's the fix???
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 24, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Gets stuck on the brkt for the charge pipe... I normally gently lever it back a bit and then it will clear...

<tuffty/>
  4. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Nice one, removed now... the VVT tensioner is pressuring itself, raising then dropping quite often when I'm cranking it on the crank pulley. That normal or is it really knackered?

Now, just to find the timing marks so I can get the tensioner swapped over :)
  5. <tuffty/>

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Normal... if you are cranking by hand there will be no oil pressure to force the tensioner to 'tension'....

<tuffty/>
  6. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 24, 2011]
    OK. HELP!!!!!!! Removed the old tensioner and put the new one in. Next thing I see is that the both marks on the pulleys & chain are still in line but are like 10 degrees towards the exhaust side of the engine. The car's not in gear and no-one touched the crank pulley, so how's it slipped and am I ok to turn the engine over on the crank pulley to line things up again?
  7. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 24, 2011]
    [​IMG]
  8. <tuffty/>

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Firstly are there 16 links between the 2 timing marks on the cam? exhaust cam should be on TDC on cam belt pull and the notch on the chain sprocket aligned with the arrow head mark on the cam bearing cap... when you change the tensioner you only need to remover the inlet cam to get it out... I always mark the links adjacent to the timing marks before removing the chain to make it easier to realign on reassembly...

DO NOT turn the engine over until you are sure these are aligned else you could up up bending valves...

Use this guide to help you....

VWVortex.com - FAQ : Cylinder Head & Camshaft Removal + Re-Installation

<tuffty/>
  9. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 24, 2011]
    Yes 16 links still. It was a bit of a faff getting the tensioner in and I think things slipped then. Only inlet cam was lifted but never removed from the chain which is why I think the whole lot may have slipped but don't know the reference point for the timing belt wheel timing mark to check it all out...

I had to remove the far left cam cap and the cam cap that stops the tensioner from coming out from the exhaust side but the rest went untouched. If I didn't remove the far left cam cap from both exhaust and inlet, the cam wouldn't come out as it's a one piece cap. Had to remove the right most exhaust cam cap as the tensioner wouldn't come out otherwise...

I think / hope that the whole timing has just rotated two links left and rotating it back will have it all ok, but I want to be sure before I reassemble...

Cheers tufty. Any other advice appreciated!
  10. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 25, 2011]
    Ok, so fresh look at it today, there's not 16 links between the marks on the pulley - the exhaust cam hasn't moved but the chain on the pulley has moved... so I need to remove the tensioner and move everything two links to the right... ok... Wish me luck!
  11. SiGainey

SiGainey Member

[Apr 25, 2011]
    tada!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]