Removing the turbo from an A3 Quattro the same as an s3?

markthenewt

Reaction score
Anybody know if the removal of a turbo from an a3 Quattro 8L is roughly the same as removing the turbo from an S3 due to them both having the transfef box thing under the turbo?

Looking for a D.I.Y guide but not having much luck.

I have started to strip my car down, so far got the exhaust and downpipe from the turbo off, charge pipes off,top manifold nuts off and a few other bits.

I have read that the worst part to get off is the turbo bracket.

Could do with a guide if there is one about as I have been searching for a couple of days and not having much luck.

Cheers.

I have found a guide for removal of a turbo from a Audi TT Quattro. Should be the same?

Yeah should be mate, alot of people take the head off believe it or not....

Cool... Yeah I read it's easier with the head off but sod that lol as I only had my cambelt changed a couple of months ago so don't want to be upsetting that and buying new head gaskets and bolts, I'll go down the scraped hand route.

The guy who done it on the TT did not remove the head so I'll just wing it.

Wish me luck lol, doing it on the drive and it's wet and windy, need it back on the road asap as I start a new job next monday.

Not decided where to send the turbo off to be refurbed yet either, CR turbos keep popping up, any thoughts on the best place to send it?

Cheers.

Cheers for the link Dave. I'll have to give them a call to get a rough estimate.

If I send to CR it's going to be a minimum of £225 upto £395 for them to repair it.

CR said it might work out a bit cheaper having mine repaired rather than buying one of there refurbed units for £395.

I'll let you know how I get on and keep my progress updated here.

Removing a K03 is a whole lot easier than a K04... last one I did took less than an hour... no need to remove the head on K03 turbo'd engines...

The most awkward manifold nuts are either side of where the turbo bolts on so you will need to unbolt the turbo to mani bolts and undo it from the turbo supprt bracket... the coolant pipe running round the front of the cam belt cover is held on by a 10mm bolt on a bracket at the back of the block under the mani, you 'can' bend this a tad to get easier access to the mani nuts behind but I normally unbolt it and drop it down... exhaust mani is then lifte out the top and you have easy access to the turbo and all the oil/coolant pipes... undo the downpipe from underneath

<tuffty/>

Reactions: yoursixx
No, a3 quattro isn't like the tt or s3 for the simple reason you don't need to remove the head off the quattro to get the turbo off. Yes the turbo can be removed from an s3 without the head coming off but it's a right pain.A3 quattro is the same as the the a3. Just remove the exhaust manifold and lift the turbo out. Turbo bracket is holding the turbo in place with a 13mm bolt. Oil and water lines are a little tricky but believe me I'd change an a3 turbo ove an s3 or tt any day off the week!

&lt;tuffty/&gt;;1357467 said:
Removing a K03 is a whole lot easier than a K04... last one I did took less than an hour... no need to remove the head on K03 turbo'd engines...<br>
<br>
The most awkward manifold nuts are either side of where the turbo bolts on so you will need to unbolt the turbo to mani bolts and undo it from the turbo supprt bracket... the coolant pipe running round the front of the cam belt cover is held on by a 10mm bolt on a bracket at the back of the block under the mani, you 'can' bend this a tad to get easier access to the mani nuts behind but I normally unbolt it and drop it down... exhaust mani is then lifte out the top and you have easy access to the turbo and all the oil/coolant pipes... undo the downpipe from underneath<br>
<br>
&lt;tuffty/&gt;

Cheers mate :L yeah I have all the manifold off now, was not too bad to do really and everything else like all the brackets and stuff off.

No, a3 quattro isn't like the tt or s3 for the simple reason you don't need to remove the head off the quattro to get the turbo off. Yes the turbo can be removed from an s3 without the head coming off but it's a right pain.A3 quattro is the same as the the a3. Just remove the exhaust manifold and lift the turbo out. Turbo bracket is holding the turbo in place with a 13mm bolt. Oil and water lines are a little tricky but believe me I'd change an a3 turbo ove an s3 or tt any day off the week!

This made me lol mate I wish it was as easy as just remove the manifold and lift the turbo out haha and the rest.

Typical I am stuck on the turbo bracket bolt now, the last bolt to undo. Do you tackle this from cambelt side of the engine or the other side? I can see it from that side but it's awkward as the thread is sticking out so need to get a longer 13mm socket :(

Cheers mate.

Edit.... been trying to get the wrong bolt lol, I was trying to get that bolt above the driveshaft, the bracket bolt is further in, off I go to try again.

Last edited:
Grrrrr I have had to down tools as the turbo bracket bolt is tight and I will end up breaking it... Fresh start in the morning... there's allways one eh.

Grrrrr I have had to down tools as the turbo bracket bolt is tight and I will end up breaking it... Fresh start in the morning... there's allways one eh.

Yeah, they do that :(

Plenty of penatrating fluid mate and being a quattro you can't just unbolt the bracket from the block as the sodding bevel box is in the way... booo

gl for tomorrow

<tuffty/>

Thanks guys.

Not looking forward to removing this bracket bolt at all. Is it tight because all of the weight from the turbo is now resting on this last bracket bolt? I fear I'm going to break it or round the end off. It was easy up until this bit :/

Thanks for the link of the turbo repair too Jack :L

I'm thinking put the manifold back on with a couple of nuts then put the 3 manifold to turbo bolts back in the turbo, this should take the weight off the turbo bracket bolt and make it a bit easier to undo as all the weight from the turbo wont be on it?

Been trying for hours now still can't get this last turbo to bracket bolt undone :(

Anybody want a job lol.

And then it happened, my worst nightmare, the nut rounded off. Don't know what I'm going to do now... I could cry :(

O no :sob:

the only thing left to do is drill it!!

Yes seems so or just smash it which is what I feel like doing now, so annoyed!!!

It's tight down there, I doubt I will get a drill in but will try, If I could put a new bracket on I could just wobble and break the old one off but I can't do that as I can't put a new bracket on. It has 2 allen key bolts holding the bracket on but I can't get to them because the front diff is in the way being a Quattro.

I wondered if it would be ok without the bracket as the turbo will be held onto the manifold with the 3 big bolts but apparently running it without the bracket will cause the manifold to break.

Gutted :(

try some stillis and a screwdriver pry the turbo whill undoing the bolt with a set of stillis or file two sides of the nut/bolt so its flat on two sides then can undo with a spanner, had this happen numoruos times and found one of the two methods ideal depending on room

Syvo there is no way you can get into the bolt, the only way you can get at it is with a long 13mm socket with a few extension bars on it.

Cheers for the shout though. I googled "stillis" as I have never heard of it before and nothing comes up, what is stillis?

Anyway my mate is coming to the rescue later tonight with some of these Bergen 3/8" SD 12mm Rounded Nut Bolt Extractor Socket | eBay It's grips the bolt as more force is applied so should have the turbo off tonight :)

Finally got the bolt out today, such a releif.

My mates bolt remover would'nt grip as it was a half inch size and not a true 13mm but then I managed to borrow a proper 13mm bolt remover and it came out.

Thought it would end up an engine out jobby... Phew lol.

Just waiting for my turbo to arrive now, should hopefully be here tomorrow, if not it will be Monday.

I Had to go to the hospital after as I got a bit of metal in my eye. I did have goggles on while doing the work but once the bolt was out had to recover a socket and foolishly went under the car without the goggles.

Eye is sore but ok now.

Cheers.

Syvo there is no way you can get into the bolt, the only way you can get at it is with a long 13mm socket with a few extension bars on it.

Cheers for the shout though. I googled "stillis" as I have never heard of it before and nothing comes up, what is stillis?

Anyway my mate is coming to the rescue later tonight with some of these Bergen 3/8" SD 12mm Rounded Nut Bolt Extractor Socket | eBay It's grips the bolt as more force is applied so should have the turbo off tonight :)

Out of interest "stillis" are these stilson wrench - Google Search