1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing tar/bitumen

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by kempus, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kempus

kempus Member

[Sep 21, 2009]
    Hi guys!

Council decided to to dig up the road just past where I live and I've managed to get a nice great big splat of tar/bitumen stuck to the sill of my white A3. I didn't really notice it until I washed the car and whilst trying to get which I thought was dirt, off the car with my finger nail, a bit of it came off it along with to my complete horror, a little paint.

So what next? How can I remove the rest without dulling the paint/lacer around it??

thanks,

Kempus
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. RyanJonS4

RyanJonS4 Drive It Like You Stole It

[Sep 21, 2009]
    Try either autosmart tardis...which gets rated very highly, I own a small bottle of, but I'm yet to use,

Or auto glym glue and tar remover, which i also own and have used and confirm works a treat.

The AG is easier to get hold of as its sold in halfords.

Ryan
  4. s4marsh

s4marsh Member

[Sep 21, 2009]
    autoglym intensive tar remover works a treat for a fiver a bottle you can do the whole car a few times if you mist it...i worked at a coke oven plant that produces tar and my car always had black specs allover but this stuff sorts it out
  5. kempus

kempus Member

[Sep 22, 2009]
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies! I shall see which one I can get my hands on and let you know how I get on!!

Cheers,

Kempus
  6. Slimbaldy

Slimbaldy Hammer it!

[Oct 4, 2009]
    Aztec chemicals do a tar and bitchumen remover which is excellent, rapeseed oil works very well or if your feeling cheap good old diesel. I work in an asphalt plant so my cars always getting splatered with the stuff. as long as your patient with the chemical and don't rub too much as the bitchumen contains adhesive polymers, it won't do any harm....
  7. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

[Oct 5, 2009]
  8. dan1973

dan1973 OCD clean

[Oct 5, 2009]
    Either autosmart tardis or autoglym tar remover would be good.