Removing rounded off number plate light screw!

Silky-S3

Is loving his new 8V S3!
Reaction score
Anyone got experience of this? Since Audi decided to use soft cheese to make these screws one of mine is totally rounded off. Looks like i'm gonna have to drill it out :( Or anyone else got a better idea?

Cheers

Hummm..look pretty tight to get a power drill in there?

I would continue to try and remove it with screwdrivers and pressure, perhaps even try a flat head screwdriver in a damaged Philips head screw, often a change in driver will make all the difference, but be ready to chew up screwdrivers trying.

If you absolutely must drill/dremel the head off, try and retain a stump by just taking the head off, so you can get grips on to it once the lights removed.

Last edited:
I used a small chisel to cut thro the plastic around the screw. But then again I did have 2 new units ready to install and changed the screws for better ones as the Audi ones are made of chocolate.

Id try and get a pair of mole grips on it!

I happened to have this problem just yesterday! I managed to get the pliers on it in the end, normally the shaft is more resilient than the head!

If ur car is under warranty, Audi will sort it out for u :)

Id try and get a pair of mole grips on it!

the screws are flush with the plastic

i had 2 new ready to fit and just cut the plastic and then grips

the screws are flush with the plastic

i had 2 new ready to fit and just cut the plastic and then grips

Ah yeah i think the plastice cover are only a few pence! You could always get a junior hacksaw an saw some slots in to get a flat head screwdriver in to remove, you will have to buy some new plastic covers thogh!

its not realy a cover its the full light unit
and very very hard to get a hacksaw in there

I have re-read and realised its the number plate light unit, not the number plate screw! Doh. Yeah much harder!

Try a rubber band and lots of pressure, that might bring it out. Like so...

strippedscrew01_rect540-e1265807015459.jpg

its not realy a cover its the full light unit
and very very hard to get a hacksaw in there

Ha just realised its the nuimberplate light screw! I though it was the numberplate screw!

New light required (which come with new screws), rip and break the plastic lens which will come away from the screw leaving the screw proud and then your able to get long nose pliers on it and undo... It's the only way I found when I did mine. I got the new lights units from Cardiff Audi through E-bay for £11 delivered. It was cheaper than a tailgate respray which I'd of needed if I'd carried on with the other methods I was trying!!

Same happened to me :(

Think i drilled it out but I was replacing the unit as it wasnt working so was a little heavy handed......
I too had to drill the head off the screw(I used a small "centre drill" in picture, which u should get from any hardware store) if your cautious enough just to drill the head off from the screw ,the unit will come out undamaged and as previously posted, get the long nosed pliers into the remainder of the screw
BCD59B88-D5D5-472B-AA48-6E14C8112CFF-3153-0000040E865CD38D.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers guys! Gonna try a few of these this week and let you know how I get on! I wish it was the number plate screws!

Do B&Q etc sell them drills?

New light required (which come with new screws), rip and break the plastic lens which will come away from the screw leaving the screw proud and then your able to get long nose pliers on it and undo... It's the only way I found when I did mine. I got the new lights units from Cardiff Audi through E-bay for £11 delivered. It was cheaper than a tailgate respray which I'd of needed if I'd carried on with the other methods I was trying!!

How did you get the light out without damaging the surround? Just put a screw driver through it?

I drilled through the lens which far easier than drilling the screw out...

Well, what a ***** that was! Got it out after some deremal action, but had to destroy the light :( Gonna order the new OEM LEDs from the A5 to replace them :)

Cheers guys

Well, what a ***** that was! Got it out after some deremal action, but had to destroy the light :( Gonna order the new OEM LEDs from the A5 to replace them :)

Cheers guys

Exactly... No other way around it really. Glad your sort of sorted!

I'm having the same problem and didn't realise there would already be a thread on this. thought these things just happen to happen to me lol I posted here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/how-to-remove-stripped-screw-numberplate-bulb-holder.245847/

Is it best to try and drill the screw out first or break the plastic casing for the light. I don't use a drill alot just to note. If I do break the plastic of what is the best way? or should I say where best to break it? I have a drill and I have a Deremal that I have never opened. If I do is it best to avoid the bit shown in the red box or doesn't it matter? also are the lights from ebay any good as replacements or is it better to get from Audi? I saw someone mentioned that they bought from Audi on Ebay but can't see Audi on there.

numberplate_light2.jpg
[/url] imgurl[/IMG]
numberplate_light2.jpg