removing rear interior from avant.

TwedA4

Reaction score
hi guys,

can anyone tell me how to remove the side wall bits and floor from an avant? i'm wanting to put a bit of sound proofing in it as it's a bit noisey in the back and i usually drive with the radio low so i cant drown it out lol...

done a bit of searching but cant find much... :/

cheers.
twed.

lift up the mounting lugs on the floor ..... there are 2 screws in each one remove all
remove the rear mounting lugs fixed on the rear panel and also remove the 2 torx screws ( lift rear panel upwards and remove)
remove the lower rear seat bench by pulling up the front of the seat with some force about 1/3 distance of seat length
remove the 19mm screws which fix the 3 seat belt mountings ( the middle one has a hook tag which is fiddly to remove but please make sure you remove it before folding the seat forward .... if you do not the seat belt can lock itself in the lowered position and its a nightmare to remove the seat ... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED )
remove the two fixing bolts which lock the folding rear sections in place (remove the locking nut first then unscrew bolt completly out
remove the two torx screws at the base of the rear side trim panels which finish off the rear seat (be carefull when removing these pieces as some cars have air bags in these locations to remove these unclip the yellow wire )
remove the spare wheel and centre mount floor should now be mostly accessible
to remove side panels remove screw at rear of each side panel and use a trim removal tool on the 2 or 3 fixing points underneath

you should then have access to sound deaden the rear compartment

if road noise is a consideration id reccomend using a thin layer of something like dynamatt or silent coat
followed by a 3mm layer of closed cell foam
then either mass loaded vinyl or 3m thinsulate or both together
this will make the rear of the car very very quiet

good luck
nath

Reactions: TwedA4 and Jimmy TDI
legend! thanks mate. looks like i have a busy day ahead of me!

Avants aren't known for being noisy from the rear, are you sure you haven't got a wheel bearing on the way out?

i have a wheel bearing type noise on the rear but that's due to the tyres. they were exactly the same when fitted to our passat.

this is definitely road noise. or unless it's just the tyres getting noisey on the road as they've got a few mm left..

Yeah I forgot to mention tyres as a source of noise. A lot of budget tyres are noisy & even premium tyres can rumble when the tread is getting low.

i'll see if my funds stretch for new tyres. just put avons on the front and they're nice and quiet but i drive to france next month so funds are low lol.