Removing rear axle bushes.

Dave Aston

Reaction score
Hey there,
I'm currently in the process of changing the rear axle bushes on my 1.8t-sport. I've dropped the rear beam down but am having trouble getting the bushes out. Has anyone done this before? Was wandering whats the best way to get them out.

Cheers.

Dave.

Im affraid your going to struggle like hell without the correct tool.

I made one for changing golf axle bushes out of some 12mm threaded bar and transit bearing races.
It should look something like this:

product_7439.jpg

We got them out using an air-chisel but if you don't have the tools, use a mini hacksaw and cut the rubber off, the cut a slot from one side to the other on the remaining sleeve, use the persuader (mahoosive hammer) and it should come out easy enough. Getting it back in, now that's the fun part depending on the new bush type (metal / plastic sleeve). We had the right tool for the job and had plastic sleeves on the replacement bushes which were genuine, again be done with a bit of wood, threaded bar and washers. See here for a write up by someone on another forum: http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/249533.aspx?PageIndex=1

Good luck!

(Tool shown in the above post is the one we used).

Last edited:
Remember to put them back in the same way they come out too, as the yolk of the bush is designed to work one way.

Cheers, for the replies. The bushes i've bought are some upgraded, they are like these:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK4-AUDI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item45eefc38dd

They don't come with instructions to tell you which position to fit them in. There is a little arrow mark on the rubber but I don't know what its meant to point at?:unsure:

Also, the sealey tool is advertised in some places as a Removal tool and other places as an Installation tool! Can it do both?

Last edited:
I know the Sealey tool will install the bush, we air chiseled the bush out so can't say for sure if they will work for removing it. Note they only come out from one side as they have a lip on one side (rear side has lip IIRC).

The bushes on that link are solid so you "shouldn't" have to worry about the position, if you want to be sure, fit the bush in the same position as the original (look from the rear of the bush and you will see that the inner metal of the bush is shaped, take a phone pic before removing the bush so that you can refer back to it if need be, otherwise it is a straightforward if awkward job to do. Helps to have a mate on hand as an extra pair of hands / eyes to stop schoolboy errors.

Ok, so after reading some posts on uk-mkivs.net - it looks like the bushes I've bought are Hydraulic ones. Is this good or bad?