removing middle zorst box

vr6gordy

Reaction score
i wanna remove middle zorst box on my cab quattro 1.8t .. anyone do a kit for this (easy way out lol )or is it look on ebay for bits of pipe to make myself.... looking at it it look easy to do ... just a quick question is the bore of the pipe 2.5 inch outter ? what pipe size would i need so it slips inside the zosrt ???? many thanks if anyone can help me out

Is your system at the min stock?

If it's the same set up as the saloon 1.8T (190bhp) system then it actually splits just before going into that box you cant actually see it by just looking under the car but I had my friends motor up on the lift few weeks back and he was considering doing what I've done to my 3.0 V6 and removing that box, his system looks very similar to mine only difference was mine is 2 pipes from the front to back and his (like yours I suspect) was one pipe right up to this box and 4-5 inches before it splits into 2 then its 2 out the other side of the box too,

So no Y section is needed you could just do as I did and cut it out and replace it with straight pipe (weld in) dead easy took me around 30 mins to do.

The section I cut out:

20121109_180945.jpg

its not the same as that mine only has one pipe into that box and 2 out .. thats why in need the y pipe ... what size pipe did you buy ??????

I thought yours might have been the same as my mates 1.8t saloon thats a shame,

mines a 3.0 V6 and the bore is larger but I can look up tomorrow at work your bore size and post back.

I thought yours might have been the same as my mates 1.8t saloon thats a shame,

mines a 3.0 V6 and the bore is larger but I can look up tomorrow at work your bore size and post back.
cool if you can do that its a 2004 a4 cabriolet 1.8t quattro 163bhp 6 speed

just found a pic of the same car as mine underneath it and its the same as the pic posted so gonna look at mine tomorrow

I've looked through all our exhaust books and none list dimensions of the bore but i can tell you the front section is clamped using a 58mm clamp and out the rear of that section they use 48mm clamps.

Is your system at the min stock?

If it's the same set up as the saloon 1.8T (190bhp) system then it actually splits just before going into that box you cant actually see it by just looking under the car but I had my friends motor up on the lift few weeks back and he was considering doing what I've done to my 3.0 V6 and removing that box, his system looks very similar to mine only difference was mine is 2 pipes from the front to back and his (like yours I suspect) was one pipe right up to this box and 4-5 inches before it splits into 2 then its 2 out the other side of the box too,

So no Y section is needed you could just do as I did and cut it out and replace it with straight pipe (weld in) dead easy took me around 30 mins to do.

The section I cut out:

20121109_180945.jpg
been under car today and its the same as this pic ... what size pipe did you use ?????????

i messured the pipe size today and its 51mm so 2" so i think i need 54mm pipe which it 1.5mm thick so that should give me an inner pipe size of 51 .... i think v6 pipes are 2 1/4" so that why you needed 58mm pipe

Last edited:
On mine it was a butt up fit,

I have a load of the pipe left at work from when I did the job so I will measure it to me sure of the size and post back but there is no guarantee yours being the 1.8 will be the same as my 3.0