Removing intercoolers on 2.5 tdi

AudiLeon

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
How hard/ how do you remove the intercoolers on the 2.5 tdi?

You need to take the bumper off and pull the lock carrier off like when you have a cambelt fitted. They will then lift over from their supports. Why do you wanna remove them ? You'll have a bit of fun with the 6x nuts holding the front bumper on the crossmember !

I have quite abit of smoking underload, I know this can be leaking intercoolers.

Greyish, I only see it at night in the lights of cars behind.

BTW, thank you for the advice on how to remove it. Just realised I didn't thank you earlier.

get somebody to follow u with a camcorder during the day first... could be diesel particulates (picked up in headlights more) / your exhaust stirring up dust too?

Unless you've got more evidence of a specific problem I'd certainly want to see how it smoked in daylight too. Whenever you boot it at night you see 'smoke' in the headlights behind, which you never see in daylight - purely down to the lights reflecting off the particles making it look worse.

Punctured intercoolers will make noise and it will splatter oil over-it... A little bit of grey smoke is ok at full throttle and can be due to a dirty air filter or non properly set injector pump.

Good point about the pump, last time i checked it on vcds it was fine, but since I've picked it up from having it's cambelt done. It picks up alot better and feels quicker. Maybe it was slightly out.

When my IC split, it had smoke on the rear when on load.

have a look on the front side grills for any oil. If there is oil then the IC might be split.