Removing fog lights for better air flow to intercoolers...

dultanur

all promises, no action :)
Reaction score
i've done the above and seen at least a 4 degree decrease in intake manifold air temp.s! anyone else do this, or do you guys think that would give anymore power? or does the car just reduce the boost to compensate?

thanks!

wow, now that is a thread ressurection if ever there was one....

well done.

BIGGGGGG Thread jump haha, im thinking of doing this the weekend when I also replace my TIP, as I already have a broke fog light... Its gotta be better than nothing right?

Blast from the past - but yeah, it's a good point. Are there any after market fog grilles that don't have a gaping round hole? That would be cool.

Might cause an MOT failure as if your car is equipped with front fog lights then they must work.

I had some for my old golf mk3 I will have a search but until I get a front mount (which if I'm honest wont be for a while) I'm thinking more air getting to the originals would be a good thing.

I did this on the ring in my old daily, with fogs and grills still in place I suffered terribly from heatsoak on the long climb from Bergwerk to the Karousell, but with the fog lights and grills removed it wasn't so bad, a noticably improvement. that was under pretty extreme conditions though.

Cheers prawn, it defiantly looks like the fogs restrict a lot of air. I will have a look for some kind of fog light blanks to tidy it up abit if not just leave the covers in.

Wow, i've been searching for a thread like this for ages.

I don't want a fmic as i'd like to stay as oem as possible for now and been wondering about maximising the cooling from the smic's, ideally i'd like to keep the fogs in situ for mot and looks but tempted to give this a try sometime. I'm sure the ducting can be improved especially on the drivers side. Anyone tried anything similar?

im sure ive seen people put some sort of vent covers on the other side of the smic's in the wheel arch so air can pass through rather than have no where to go and have l claimed positive results. bare in mind you want something that faces down so dirt doesnt cover the inside of your bay and cover the smic or this will have the reverse effect. just to help a bit further?? daz

im sure ive seen people put some sort of vent covers on the other side of the smic's in the wheel arch so air can pass through rather than have no where to go and have l claimed positive results. bare in mind you want something that faces down so dirt doesnt cover the inside of your bay and cover the smic or this will have the reverse effect. just to help a bit further?? daz
Mine has factory cut louvers in the arch trims so the air can escape, mines a 52 plate so may have been a later thing... I have seen what you are on about but when I checked mine, they are ok. Cheers though.

When i had my side mount replaced with a bigger alloy one i was advised it wouldnt make any difference having the fogs there. I should log temps tbh but im a bit lazy! mines a tdi though too and not a power house! I was considering swapping the ic out for a charge cooler though if i have problems in the summer with heat soak.