1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing DSG gear knob

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Agent_Trig, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Agent_Trig

Agent_Trig Member

How does it come off?

I have a new leather boot to fit which means taking the knob off first. Does it just pull off?

Thanks
  2. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

the "trigger" button, you pull it all the way out and then you have to secure it with something like one of those plastic garbage bag ties. then it comes off. don't pull it too hard or it'll come off completely. that happened to me and i can't figure out how to get it back in. (it does go back in tho.)
  3. Agent_Trig

Agent_Trig Member

Thanks for the reply.

But what do you mean by "secure it with a bag tie" and "dont pull it off completely"? It would need to come off completely in order for me to get the new boot in wouldn't it? I just dont wanna mess this up cause I cant afford to have the car off the road while I try and figure out what I've done wrong haha
  4. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

i meant the button specifically. doesn't matter a massive load if it does come out. the car is still perfectly drivable

secure it means hold it in the "out" position. it'll click back in otherwise.

bag ties = the black things:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member

6. Agent_Trig

Agent_Trig Member

Thanks guys.

Gonna try this tomorrow along with a grille change :)