Removing chrome from grill

adrian2006uk

Reaction score
hello looking at removing thr chrome round the outdise of y fronf grill does it just unclip from the rest of the grill

it does just unclip, but you need to take the fron bumper off. I've just recently had mine sprayed to match the grey surround at the bottom of the bumper, I'll get a pic of it today and put it up. it looks so much better IMO, makes the car look newer, as i think the chrome is tacky...

confussed now one person saying the chrome round the outside will just unclip once i have the grill out and one person saying it will not unclip so which is it
i do not like the chrome round the edge of the grill so want to remove it and leave it of will i be left with and holes or anything

not being funny mate but if your carefull but force full you can unclip it with out removing the bumper or grill, i did mine a couple of months ago, just put a bit of cloth agaist the bumper so u dont scratch ya bumper when levering the chrome surround out, piece of cake

I can confirm that you can remove the chrome grille outline with everything on the car. As dantheman says, just carefully prise it off from the black plastic.

oops might have been my miss info from what I remembered id read ..... thats what nights does to you :( I thought the grill and chome surround were all one but I stand corrected

I wouldnt risk trying to remove it without the bumper as the clips are very stiff and there's lots of them. it was hard to remove the surround even with the bumper off!

anyway, here's a pic of it in grey. the paint I used was 'Holts Bumper and trim paint 'dark grey'

it just needs prepping, priming and then s afew coats of this, no need for lacquer, and gives the same finish, really good

BT1.jpg

sorry for the bad pic, but this gives an idea:

28042007.jpg

I just did mine a few days ago. I just unclipped the chrome surround with the grille and bumper still on the car, took the glossy finish off the chrome with a bit of 320 wet and dry paper, and gave it 3 thin coats of satin black. Came out really well, very pleased with it.

i also sprayed it black...but beware: high pressure car wash peeled some of it off!!!

anybody know if anyone does replacments is Carbon ? just a nice idea?

so once you take the chrome surround of whats under neith it to clip iy back on to?