1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing badges

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by dirk technic, Feb 12, 2009.

1. dirk technic

dirk technic New Member

I am thinking of removing the A4 and TDI badges, but I am worried that I will:

a) will damage the paintwork (car is 5 years old now :crying:)
    b) leave marks

Is there any easy way to avoid the above or should I just leave well alone? :uhm:
  2. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

heat up the badge with a hairdryer to warm up glue but don't over do it, keep the hairdryer moving and badge should peel off fairly easily and then use something like AutoGlym Tar & Adhesive remover on a microfibre to clean up any residue left, then polish or re-apply wax to that area

don't use any tools like screwdrivers or wall paper scrapers, do it all by hand and you should be left with a mark free area where the badge once was :icon_thumright:
  3. dirk technic

dirk technic New Member

Is it really that easy? :yahoo:
    My only other concern is that when I get the badges off that there outline will be faded into the paint work? :uhm:
  4. 1210tech

1210tech Four Ring Fanatic

yeah there might be an outline or a darker are under the badge but a little bit of cutting polish like Menzerna PO85RD should sort that out
  5. dirk technic

dirk technic New Member

Thanks for that, I had a nasty feeling you were going to say that :faint: Tried doing that once before and ended up making it look worse :(
  6. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

If you are working by hand on Audi paint, I would suggest using Menzerna Intensive Polish applied using a Lake Country German CCS Light Pad; this will cut well enough to remove local oxidation differences (causing any fading) without leaving any nasty polishing marks. I've debadged many cars, and if you follow the advice John gave above you'll find it very straightforward. I have only ever had two unfixable problems; first on my own C2 when after taking off the badge I discovered a fixing hole beneath it (doh, had to refit the badge!), and the second on a car where the pigment layer under the clearcoat had faded, meaning the fading could not be corrected (again, the badge had to be refitted to solve the problem). :icon_thumright:
  7. dirk technic

dirk technic New Member

Thanks for the help guys, the Audi badges are just stuck on aren't they? :idea: Is this safe for a novice to attempt? :wacko:
  8. WX51TXR

WX51TXR Polished Bliss

Aye, every Audi we have debadged has featured stuck on badges, with no underlying fixing holes, so you should be fine. As long as you proceed with care using the above advice you'll be fine; John's advice was spot on. :icon_thumright: