removing a dump valve - what do I need to know

hooley

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here.

Just acquired a silver 3dr 1.8TQ that has had a few 'dubious' modifications.
I want to return the thing closer to standard and run it as a sleeper - fast but no-one would know it.

So the current mods are:
K&N Air Filter (4 months old)
Scorpion Cat-back exhaust (4 months old)
18-inch Khan RSC Alloys (5 months old)
Tinted windows
And the final nail in the coffin - a nice LOUD Dump Valve. - or not so nice IMHO

What I want to do is:
Remove dump valve - HERE IS WHERE YOU ALL HELP - I know these things are spliced into the main feeder pipe from turbo to inlet, so would need one of these pipes. Also block off where the control vacuum is spliced in - but is there any other changes that would have been made in the insertion of this thing? Has anything important been removed to add this thing?? Will removeal knacker the turbo if I forget something important???

Also next few mods/de-modification is to restore the air filter with an S3 airbox and filter, Replace the 18-inch Khans with RS6 18-inchers, and possibly add an S3 back box to give me a more reasonable tone to the exhaust (I used to have a scooby, and that was an exhaust note worth hearing - this on is not as I will do quite a lot of motorway miles).
Maybe even get out the heat-gun and remove the tinted windows - they are a mid-tint, so not too offensive.

So- over to your collected knowledge on the matter......

Also if anyone is interested in the old parts about to be removed, let me know.

Cheers
Jas

Hello and welcome!

Removing the Dump Valve should just be a case of pulling three pipes off it, two larger ones at the sides and one smaller on the top. After this you should just be able to put the standard or a recirculating DV back on.

For the others you'll need to source the original parts and it's basically a straight swap.

Don't want to sound rude but why didn't you just buy a standard example?

Very very cheap - bought from the receiver of a company gone bust.

So I need a recirculating valve? Where does it fit?

Any pictures??

Being very cheeky I know, but want to do this one myself and save my pennies for a nice shiny new chip.

Jas

Looking at the pipe, it's beed hacked through to add the DV.
Is the recirculating DV a standard part, or aftermarket.

Cheers for the help though....
Jas

from what your saying, it sounds like the chav DV has been fitted by cutting into the pipe from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. at the front of the bay

this needs rejoining, or replacing, and the recirc valve goes at the back of the engine bay, its on the TIP i believe, and takes its vacuum feed from the FPR via a little metal pipe around the top of the head. it gets theres a pipe roughly 1'' dia comming from the boost pipe going across the back of the engine.

i THINK thats correct, dont quote me on that though, can someone verify this?

Prawn,

You're assumption is correct.
A very roughly cut pipe between intercooler and the inlet manifold is home to the unwanted guest.

There is also a small vacuum hose that connects from the top of the DV to somewhere under front right manifold cover. A nice bright blue colour.

Would the previous owner have taken the original bits out, or would they be by-passed, or most likely, they are still there and he added the DV for the noise.
What am I looking for for the original bits, and where would they be???

Can get pics up on Thursday.

Cheers all.

Know anyone that wants to do a swap - I'll swap my pipe with the DV for an original pipe without???

all the ones ive seen installed on 1.8T's have been located here, as in my pic

excuse teh awful quality, my camera lens is cracked!

this is what he means by spliced into the front pipe.

gallery_168_26_36638.jpg

Rude boy valve as depicted is spot on.

what does the vacuum pipe go to? it must pick up fromm something throttle related???????

Just curious.

Jas

i THINK the vacuum comes from the fuel pressure regulator..... i wouldnt like to say for certain though. on the standard setup there is a short length of braided hose, before it goes into a small metal pipe, which is routed around the side of the head, before a short length of hose connects it up somewhere near where my little blue line ends. at a guess, your chav dv will use the same take off, and id imagine if its done by a chav, the metal pipe for the original dv will probably have been left in place making your life easier.

The vacuum actuator pipe come from the engine side of the throttle flap, which would be under vacuum when the throttle is closed.

Get my hands back on the car properly Weds evening, so will examine with great intent.

I know a fair it about standard engines, can field strip a Ducati V2, changed many a gasket on older cars, but the vagaries of a turbo give me the willies.

Anything spinning at (i think) 220k rpm can do an awful amount of (very expensive) damage in the wrong hands.

I'm hoping my ham-fisted previous owner was lazy and has left everything in place for a swift and cheap re-connection.

Not sure about the exhaust (scorpion cat-back) as all I can hear is the DV blowing off all the time.

Jas