Remove/Replace cigarette lighter in 12v?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just bought a 64 plate Audi 2.0 Sport and it comes with a cigarette lighter in the 12v charger.
Can I get a non lighter replacement to fit in there instead?

I guess it would be impractical to be able to retrofit a non-smoking pack?

Thanks for any pointers.

You can place any device in the socket still, its just the "cap" that is different. You can purchase the caps, will see if I can dig the link out

I'm sure you can buy a plug to replace the lighter (from Audi or e-Bay). But I can't see why it would be worth the bother really.
The only other elements of the smoking pack is a up-rated supply - I don't think that would matter really - and the ashtray that you can dispose if you want. But lots of folks - me included - blag one of those anyway as a coin pot or whatever.

Thanks very much for your replies.
Now ordered one from Stokes eBay shop. I think that will look much better :sm4:

I'm picking the car up next week - is the ashtray in one of what I thought were cup holders?

Thanks very much for your replies.
Now ordered one from Stokes eBay shop. I think that will look much better :sm4:

I'm picking the car up next week - is the ashtray in one of what I thought were cup holders?
Yup that's where it goes :)

How much are they now, about £7 right? The ones at £4 odd are old pricings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much are they now, about £7 right? The ones at £4 odd are old pricings?

The ash-tray? If so, never looked but I assumed they were more than that

Ahh sorry guys I should of been more specific. @azibux I was referring to the aluminium 12V blanks from Stoke Audi. Also I've always been 50/50 about the ashtray. I like then very much! But I've heard people breaking into cars just for some change or even a lighter before! So I generally keep EVERYTHING out of sight. I don't even leave my charging cable showing.
The torch looks decent @AllanG but I prefer my freebie keyring torch
EDIT: The site that you linked (audi parts direct) AllanG have you bought anything off there before? Is it safe? Reliable?

Last edited:
Reactions: azibux1
@MKC....As I bought my torch from someone on the Audi parts for sale forum, I'm afraid I have no experience of buying anything from the Audi Parts Direct website.

I got the official allum one from eBay as part of a package the seller was offering with the ashtray. Think it was £20 for the 2 but perfect condition, never used. Check eBay. used to be lots of them on there. Ashtray was a great addition for storing change & good saving technique too as i just chuck in whatever change is in my pocket. found £42 last time i emptied it! :rockwoot:Would love to actually take out the cig lighter and add a double USB socket instead... has anyone done this?

Would be easier to get a nearly flush fitting USB twin charger that goes simply into the 12v socket. Unless I misunderstood and that is what you meant?

Reactions: Ormesome
Would be easier to get a nearly flush fitting USB twin charger that goes simply into the 12v socket. Unless I misunderstood and that is what you meant?

That sounds good as well, the goal is really to get rid of any reference to smoking, so no lighter, no ashtray. I have ordered the Audi 12v plug mentioned above. Do they have an official USB charger that fits in there - or at least one that looks smart?

Reactions: Ormesome

if we were able to pop out the cig lighter and replace it with a USB port that would be great. sure there are examples out there as they are mostly the same size.

haha not exactly! thats the simple route! i was on about taking the cig lighter out completely. think they are usually just 2 connections at the rear, then plug in a USB style replacement. you did mention getting rid of any reference to smoking so this would do it and give a permanent USB connection too. Bit like these in the links. sorry they direct to other forums but thats all i could see with a quick google search.

http://www.banggood.com/Dual-USB-Mo...er-Adapter-Socket-For-Phone-GPS-p-954913.html

http://www.fiatforum.com/punto-ii/436054-replace-cigarette-lighter-usb-charger-port.html

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220909

@Ormesome Ah, I see. Yes replacing it completely would be good. Is that something a garage is best placed to do?
Although whatever the solution I still need to be able to access a 12v source to charge my Sat Nav etc...

My old A3 had a flip style cap over it, I presume part of the non-smoking pack.

There are some 12v plug in USB chargers that are almost flush, a lot more flush than those in the pics above. Saw one on another forum that someone had in a BMW that looked good but I don't have specific details for it unfortunately