Removal of rear bumper and quarter panel

audi58

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought some genuine Audi Parking Sensors, just need to fit them now. Anyone with any knowledge of this, I would greatly appreciate any advice or tips.

Picture guide would be amazing or am I being too hopeful?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Remove mud flaps if fitted and rear light clusters.
Remove the rear bumper three fixings around wheel arch, four fixings on lower edge, one fixing
through back panel and one retaining pin under light cluster.
The bumper will pull off rearwards. Its a 2 man job as its only a wobbly plastic skin.

Remove the lower front inside boot plastic cover upwards it just clips out, this is what covers the boot catch.
Remove parcel shelf, remove 2 x torx screws holding the parcel shelf support, clip out the rear boot light and disconnect the wiring, pull the grey boot side inlays towards the center lifting the liner over the rear anchor points on the floor.
Using either a flat screwdriver or a socket unscrew the light cluster and then work out from the rear 2 x rubber grommet mountings also hold the light to the body so just wiggle the cluster out.Disconnect the cluster wiring harness. Do the same for the other side.
3 x torx screws on each rear wheel arch, need a small wrench for this.
2 x torx screws on the underside of the bumper towards the middle.
1 x black torx and 1 x silver torx screws which are hidden by the light cluster.
2 x 10mm nuts are holding the bumber to the rear of the vehicle, you need a long reach socket for the removal of these i bought one from halford's £4.99, i dipped the end of the socket in vaseline so the nut will stick to the socket when detached.

Pull the bumper from the rear side above the wheel arch it is secured by push fit clips, once both sides are free from the body pull the bumper rearwards not upwards and it will clip out. Did mine today so its fresh in my mind.

Refit is reverse.

Dave

Last edited:
Remove the lower front inside boot plastic cover upwards it just clips out, this is what covers the boot catch.
Remove parcel shelf, remove 2 x torx screws holding the parcel shelf support, clip out the rear boot light and disconnect the wiring, pull the grey boot side inlays towards the center lifting the liner over the rear anchor points on the floor.
Using either a flat screwdriver or a socket unscrew the light cluster and then work out from the rear 2 x rubber grommet mountings also hold the light to the body so just wiggle the cluster out.Disconnect the cluster wiring harness. Do the same for the other side.
3 x torx screws on each rear wheel arch, need a small wrench for this.
2 x torx screws on the underside of the bumper towards the middle.
1 x black torx and 1 x silver torx screws which are hidden by the light cluster.

Pull the bumper from the rear side above the wheel arch it is secured by push fit clips, once both sides are free from the body pull the bumper rearwards not upwards and it will clip out. Did mine today so its fresh in my mind.

Refit is reverse.

Dave

Dave, you're a star!!

This is highly appreciated.:thumbsup:

I guess it depends on the common sense and experience of the man with the toolkit........ ;)

No im not!! just realised that this post is in the A4 forum and my instructions are for the A3 very embarrassed......

No worries, I had a go yesterday and managed to do it. It's very similar for the A4 however there are a couple of pins that need to be taken out near the light cluster.

Thanks for your help anyway!

I mentioned the pin, thought it was weird that Ninja did not.

Did either of you drop a nut inside the rear light area ;)

No dropping of nuts for me I use a trick of putting Vaseline all over the socket base so the nut sticks to it.:laugh:

I mentioned the pin, thought it was weird that Ninja did not.

Did either of you drop a nut inside the rear light area ;)

Haha, is was very careful! Luckily I did not.

Thanks for all the info tho guys.

Do the rear wheels have to be removed to remove the rear bumper? I've just bought the kit and was going to have a go at diy at the weekend, i've not had a look at how to remove bumper yet? How long did it take you to do the whole job?

If you have a 1/4 drive torx you dont need to remove the wheels.
It takes about 15 minutes to do the first time. Need a torch the look into the rear light area for the almost hidden nut.

If you have mydflaps its a bit more of a faff as they have a clip onto the arch that needs levering off and extra screws underneath.

Thanks for quick response,where is the pin and the screw behind panel (which panel)? And are these screws in light cluster on both sides?

The pin will become viable when you take your light cluster off, it will be in the corner closest to the side of the car. The are screws on the underneath of the bumper and a nut each side of the car in a hole just below where you take the screw out for the light cluster.