Remote key fob replacement

shad

Reaction score
Hi All
I recently lost my only key to my 1997 a3 1.8 se. :mad:
It was the 2 button non flip type on 433 mhz.
Paid an auto locksmith £190 for a key cut and transponder coded to the immo.
The key they supplied is a standard HU66 AT5 non remote type.
So i purchased a 2 button flip remote replacement case minus the electrics from ebay.
I removed the transponder chip from the HU66 AT5 and placed it in the 2 button remote and had the blade cut.
The 2 button flip key starts the car fine.
However i am already sick of sticking the key in the door all the time i use the car.
I believe it is possible to programme a used 2 button remote to the vehicle using vag com.
However i do not know which remote to buy as there are many part numbers available.
I do have the part number of my central locking pump/receiver it is 8LO 862 257.
Can anyone help supply me with the correct part number of the remote that i need.

Thanks..

IMG 0502

Last edited by a moderator:
£190 for a non remote! that's just rape!

Anyways, yes it's possible to program a used remote but to do it yourself you need 2 keys. 1 for in the ignition & 1 for the door lock. If you haven't got 2 keys then you need to either get another done or get someone with VCDS to program the remote.

1 thing i don't understand is why people just get 1 key done when they've just lost their only key. Doesn't cost much to get a 2nd one as they're coded at the same time. That key he gave you doesn't even cost £10 to buy from a locksmith suppliers & that's including the chip. So he's basically charged you £180 to decode the door lock, cut the blade & program the chip! Think i need to put my prices up! lol

Reactions: s3mad_dude
As craig says, that price was high, but you havent said where you are from? Any of the remote keys I can supply on the post linked, will work on your car. However there are several part numbers and without a vin and reg i wouldnt like to quote the part number. You could call audi and ask them though?

part numbers are easy, no need for VIN. Thought you'd know them by now Tom

2 button 4d0837231r

I've been told a 3 button remote will work but i'm yet to have tried it because i haven't done anything for an 1997-00 A3 in well over a year

3 button 4d0837231a or n. Both a & n remotes are the same & can used

oh & nice job with the cluster yesterday. I was working all day weekend down in Essex, Kent & Surrey & was driving when your text came though yesterday & was that busy just forgot about it till this morning

Managed to re programme a used 2 button remote circuit board from ebay for 99p lol. 4DO 837 251
Auto locksmith stated that they do not do a remote for my vehicle therefore i would not want a duplicate key that had to be placed in the door everytime.
This being my reason for not purchasing another key at the time.

Peace...

Part number for 2 button remote is 4d0837231r

as for auto locksmith saying they don't do them for your car, are they a mickey mouse company? Any auto locksmith can get those remotes new from companies like 3d group who are a locksmiths suppliers. I know 100% they sell them as I'm registered with them & have bought that particular remote many times from them myself

Soz mate it was 4D0 837 231 And not 235 as i previously posted. Typo..
No letters after 231 though.
Crowd was called autokeysquad in london they came on christmas eve at 10:30pm.
Just need to get another transponder chip for the valet key and use vag tacho to programme it?
Any ideas what the part number would be as the chip they fitted is totally blank.
lt looks something like this.

Mitsubishi id4d61 transponder chip 10pcs20133111910734

the chip they fitted looks like that? A3 has never used that type of chip. That's a carbon type chip. A3 have always used the glass megamos transponder. 8L uses an id48 T6. 8P A3 still uses an id48 but it's a canbus id48 tp25 transponder

You need the transponder in the link below

vw audi seat skoda transponder ID48 NEW VIRGIN chip silca code T6 | eBay

Some people in this trade just don't have a clue. I think they just decide they're going to do key, call them selves auto locksmiths & just bodge their way along. I went to sort a job on Saturday where the guy had a 2007 mk2 Leon FR. It had 1 key but it wouldn't start the car & remote locking didn't work. When i checked the remote over i noticed it had a brand new blade but the remote was used. I took it apart & found that the remote part number didn't match what a mk2 Leon uses. It was for a mk1 Leon.

He said he'd already had another auto locksmith out to try sort it but he couldn't. He said the guy had taken the key apart & fitted a virgin transponder but still couldn't get it to start. So i scanned it & it wasn't even the correct transponder. With newer VAG you have to have a make specific transponder, so if you have a Seat it has to be a Seat id48 tp22 transponder. Audi such as 8P uses id48 tp25, VW id48 tp23 & skoda id48 tp24.

Anyways the other guy had fitted an id48 VW tp23 transponder & was trying to program it to the Leon so no matter what equipment you use or how good you are it isn't going to to work. I fitted the correct chip & correct part number remote & had it running as well as remote locking working in less than 5 mins. This was down in Romford, he wouldn't tell me the name of the company that had already tried it, not sure why.

There's more & more people going out & buying equipment with no real experience that are going around calling themselves auto locksmiths. They think it's just a case of plugging a computer in & a few seconds later job is done & they've got a pocket full of money at the end of the week. Most of them have probably never even stripped or rebuilt a lock or made from from scratch to a key code. I've been in the motor trade for years & got into keys by chance really as i already had a lot of diagnostic equipment that would program keys. Even when i started with the key cutting & messing with locks i didn't call myself an auto locksmith. Even some of the sign writing on my van just said "key cutting & programming"

In fact it still says that now even though i've done courses & have qualified. I'm not paying ti have it sign written again until i change vans which will be quite a while because i've done 42k in 2 years in it with no issues at all. Just usual tyres, discs, pads & general servicing. All of which i do myself. It's a good little van & rarely drops below average of 40mpg

Anyways, enough of my babbling, just buy the chip in the link i posted ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: champagnecharly
the chip they fitted looks like that? A3 has never used that type of chip. That's a carbon type chip. A3 have always used the glass megamos transponder. 8L uses an id48 T6. 8P A3 still uses an id48 but it's a canbus id48 tp25 transponder

You need the transponder in the link below

vw audi seat skoda transponder ID48 NEW VIRGIN chip silca code T6 | eBay

Virtually identical as the picture not the type in the link you posted.
I took it from the non remote key they supplied and stuck it in the 2 button flip shell.
How have they used this chip?
Do i have to purchase the same type?

Thanks.

Came from here.

IMG 0539

Just read your edit..

Thanks for the info..

P.S It will still start with 2 different types of transponder chips then?

i'm really not sure how they've used a carbon chip. Every bit of equipment i have uses the glass type. I've never seen a carbon id48 & been doing this full time for almost 3 years but a fair few years prior as well in the motor trade. Do you know what equipment they used?

Ive sussed it lol.

it should be an ID13, they CAN be cloned to a TPT5

I found this the hard way after trying to program a forum members car and failing with an id48. Since then i bought 5 spares and not used any of them. Second hand transponders in this car car be re used on another car.

Last edited:
No i actually genuinely have 5 unused ID13s, but yes i did check on the cloning software on my zedbull ... :D