1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Remote control

Nitro Dec 13, 2010

1. Nitro

Nitro Member

Hi, I left my car parked up for two months as I was out of the country - W reg year 2000 car, now my remote control locking has stopped working, batteries are only three months old. I tried to do the Re-synchronising thing according to the owners manual, it worked fine for half a day then stopped working again. I tried to do it again but this time it will not work even for a short time. If I open the drivers door with key and do not switch ignition on after a short time the hazzards flash, but there is no sound from the alarm siren. Please can someone tell me whats gone wrong and how you go about fixing this. I have all the other keys but this one is the only one with the remote control. Thanks

2. kite

kite Member VCDS Map User

3. Nitro

Nitro Member

Thanks mate I will check that out, does anyone know where is the alarm unit in an A4?

4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Offside rear cubby hole, right down at the bottom.

5. Nitro

Nitro Member

Thanks Aragorn, is that in there with central locking pump? Is there anything else that could be causing my problems?

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Not really sure why the remote isnt working.

The alarm going off when you unlock the car by key is normal, obviously your siern isnt working which is a seperate issue.

7. Nitro

Nitro Member

If I take the alarm out to see if the batteries have leaked as above will i still be able to use the car or is it connected to the immobiliser, also should I try the above repair or buy a second hand unit

8. kite

kite Member VCDS Map User

Buying secondhand could get you a unit with the same fault.
    Remove yours and see if it is worth repairing, if not then look for a replacement.