Remapping a 100bhp 1.9TDI

Rays18

East Tattoo
Reaction score
Would you even bother?
Would you even feel the extra 30/40bhp?

Im in 2 minds weather or not to go for it.

Thanks !!

forget the bhp whats the torque figures?

you drive on torque you race on bhp you will have more use of higher torque figures

you will notice the difference but it wont be huge

BUMP! I am too looking to do this. Change the air filter and remap. The quote ive had is

Power
Stock
Phase One
Phase Two
BHP
135-140
140-150
Torque ft/lb
220-225
225-235

rays - are you okay about replacing your clutch?

if not, then please check on the specs of your clutch and the max torque it can handle as I think the lower spec TDI engines had MUCH lower spec clutches...

the TDI remaps are all about mapping in a LOT more low-rev torque and bit more torque further up the rev range, so even if the peak bhp "only" goes up by 25%, the car will feel even faster than that because you will probably get 40% more torque at low revs... just bear in mind that when they made the lower spec TDI models, the engines are still pretty bullet-proof, but they cut back other components (intercoolers, turbos, clutches). The single intercooler is probably fine, the turbo, if healthy now, should handle a remap easilly, but the clutch is usually the weak point and Audi spec the components according to the max torque that they expect the clutch to need to handle on a factory map...

I'm not sure about the 100bhp in the A4, but I've seen a nearly new 105bhp Polo remapped to 150bhp and the turbo + engine were FINE: but due to the lower spec clutch and the car was utterly undriveable (the clutch with <10k miles on it was slipping even on the rolling road)...

I know the TDI130's clutch is normally able to cope - seen several those remapped to 175bhp+ without any adverse impact, if driven carefully, but I'd be wary if you're not certain the clutch it up to it - at least get it done somewhere where they will Rolling Road and they should be able to pick up even the slightest clutch slip... the Chip'N'Spin RR days as attended by a few forum members in the past (£250 for 2x RR runs + remap) will advise if they pick up any clutch slip and they'll let you test drive it too and map it down slightly if the clutch can't cope.