Remapped 8L 1.9TDI vs Remapped 8P 2.0TDI

Reaction score
Hey all, just been looking at some power / torque / weight / remap figures for the 8L PD130 and the New 8P 2.0TDI.

Although the stock 2.0TDI is quicker than a stock PD130 here is what I found when you remapped them both...

From Jabba:
8L: Stock = 130bhp / Remapped = 180bhp (average)
8P: Stock = 170bhp / Remapped = 190bhp (average)

10bhp difference (the 8P has 5% more power than the 8L).

Now let's have a look at the weights:
8L: 1180Kg
8P: 1360Kg

180Kg difference (the 8P is 13% heavier)

On these figures alone I'd be inclined to say that they're pretty closely matched for acceleration although I reckon the remapped 8L would have the edge.

What do you guys think?

-Andy.

Disregard the power figures, what are the Torque figures? the power delivery of both engines are VERY different, the 130PD unit is an all or nothing affair with power through a very short rev range, but it's damn rapid in this rev range. The 2.0 unit is much smoother with a more linear torque curve, it's probably quicker, but doesn't feel it type of feel.

i also think the 180bhp guess for the pd130 is a little high. All I've seen only make around 165. and many 170's seem to manage over 200bhp when mapped.....

The figures sound a little off.

As Jojo said though, the PD130 is an old 8v engine with a massive torque spike.

The 2.0 16v tdi is a much more modern engine, and is much more petrol like in it's delivery, making it a far nicer car to drive from an enjoyment point of view.

Same amount of torque although the PD130 can get an extra 15lbs with an uprated clutch.

Check out the website: http://www.jabbasport.com/remaps.php

I'm guessing that the new A3 probably drives more like my girlfriend's Golf 2.0 GT TDI which I'm really not keen on tbh. Apart from the boat-like handling it does seem to pull through the revs a lot more consistently but I dunno, there's something about the way it pulls that I'm not keen on it doesn't feel like I'm accelerating as quickly.

When I had my old tdi (8L) mapped i got 162bhp, another forum member got 175 from his 8L tdi quattro

180 is (i think) a little optimistic on a normal car

I guess you'd call it a custom map (well when I say custom it was the superchips generic map tailored to my TDI)